Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Water cooled setup

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I think I am prob underestimating the power of the pump by quite a bit here. OC I still have to try it cause Im a moron Here is my initial idea This is the closest pic IO could find to the angle I am looking for. Imagine it like this but "rolled" slightly so that the divider is horizontal to help seperate where the air is going

EDIT: Just realized I wrote "drain pump" I meant Drain port

Now some part of me feelas this will still work out if I get the angle right also fill and bleed the system while the res is still vertical. Meh we'll see but Im sure you guys are right already again because this is my first WC rig I think I don't know shit about the power of that pump

I do have other questions guys please.

When I ordered the RES from Frozen the give you the option for fitting size I am going with 3/8 ID so that is what I picked but the sent me 2 sets of them both 3/8 but they look a bit different

the 1st

and the second

Both are Danger Den fittings,the two are the same length but one has 3 ripples and the other has just the 1 rolled edge. Which do I use and why??

Also do I need to use some sort of hose clamp or hose clip for this??
    Last edited by Detale; 09-01-2008 at 12:34 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The two barbs are simply two designs of the same thing.
    Use either or both...doesn't matter.

Yes, you'll want to use some sort of clamp.
    Either a worm-drive or- my preference- a heavy duty ziptie (tightened with a ziptie "gun").

In your pic of the rez, what the hell is the "drainpump"?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    I edited sorry I meant Drain Plug

What about these nifty things

Uhhhh "worm drive?? Do you mean a regular hose clamp like this

Looking at it now I see what you mean worm drive.

What faults do you see with the idea in the pic above man.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    You mean besides the horizontal placement?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    LOL Dude you know you are my "go to" guy on all things HW, I just feel like this will work. In all honesty I am starting to have my doubts like my idea of filling and bleeding it while it's vertical is now seeming like it wont work because I will have to put the hoses in their respective places and that way I will need both ends to be covered by fluid which means I will have to fill it through the fill port completely and that will take forever. Hmmm more thinking to do indeed...

On another not I am thinking of spending even more money here AHHHH!

I cant seem to find much info on it but I am thinking of WC my ram also. I can only find these two ram coolers though

1st is Koolance RAM-30-V06

EDIT: Found a pic of the inside

And the 2nd

Thermaltake Aqua RX

Now the koolance one has what would be "bags" inside that allow the liquid to pass and cool the ram and I have read about people ripping these but then others comment that you need to remove the stock heat spreaders (voiding the warranty) for it to fit right. This seems like the better of the two as the thermaltake obviously chills the heat spreader with the pipe above it. I don't imagine this will work very well or at least not as well as having the flius passing directly over the heat source like a water block. Also the koolance only allows for 1/4" connections to it.

Question Time:
    How complicated would it be to work in a 1/4" hose in my 3/8" setup?

How else could I do it? Could I use 2 "f" fittings and work it in or would this hurt the performance?

Do you guys know of another maker of a WC ram set by all means let me know.

EDIT 2:

I did find that OCZ has a ram module that comes WC ready again it only has 1/4" barbs but it's about $100 for 2 gigs
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-9600 / 1200 MHz / FlexXLC Edition / Dual Channel

1200 Mhz DDRII is sounding good really good to me but I don't know if Im ready to let go of my GSkill yet.

Thoughts/Ideas??
    Last edited by Detale; 09-01-2008 at 04:01 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    Don't get silly.

How hot do you think your RAM is getting now?
    How can you tell?
    And- assuming you've decided it's running too warm- why would one of those half assed solutions be better than a simple fan blowing on it?

The point here is not to see how much money you can spend or how complex you can make this system- I don't think you realize yet (and there's really no way you could till you've done it) how much a waterloop compromises serviceability- the point is to implement an effective and silent cooling system.
    You already have a more complex loop (four blocks, right?) than any I've ever tried (or found necessary)...I'd strongly recommend you get this up and running before going further.
    Last edited by clocker; 09-01-2008 at 05:13 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    Yeah , see thats why Im glad to have you to slap me when I need it bro, Thanks again.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    lol ram w/c is pretty pointless to be fair. When ive seen people doing it, i really think it more of a showy off thing 'look what i can do'. Like clocker said what you have got is pretty good and sensible
    Have you got any more stuff today? eeeeeeeeeee i wanna see

My name is Dan for the people who care!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    In all honesty I am starting to have my doubts like my idea of filling and bleeding it while it's vertical is now seeming like it wont work because I will have to put the hoses in their respective places and that way I will need both ends to be covered by fluid which means I will have to fill it through the fill port completely and that will take forever. Hmmm more thinking to do indeed...

This is almost exactly how I think your rez should be mounted.
    Note that it's water level is the highest point in the loop.
    Also note how freakin easy it is to fill without fear of dousing any of the electronics.

This setup is even using the exact same reservoir/pump/pump top as you've got.
    The pump is suspended from the bottom of the rez only by it's tubing...since there is no physical connection to the case frame, there is no vibration transferred.
    The pump's bottom is also exposed...that's where all the electrics are and that's where it gets the hottest. About a year after assembly, I added a 60 to 80mm fan adaptor to the bottom of the pump with a low profile 80mm Zalman fan which blows directly onto the pump (pretty much just because I wanted to, not because I HAD to...).

This PC will be two years old in September and has run 24/7 the entire time.
    It's been down once to add hard drives (now has 4 x 1TB) and the water level was topped off then (straight distilled water with a few drops of iodine).
    It is easily the best loop I ever assembled, both performance and noise-wise.
    Only the activity lights give away that it's even turned on.

The difference between this Stacker's layout and your new Silverstone will be minimal...your rad will sit on it's side instead of flat and the PSU will be down there as well.
    The first (and pretty much only mod I'd recommend to the TJ- unless you're going to flip the motherboard tray) is cutting away most of the subfloor between the lower and main compartment.
    Stock it has a few passthrough openings but they're not ideally placed for all the tubing you'll be running.
    I cut one large opening from back to front and almost all side to side. The Silverstone edge protector almost covered the entirety of the new opening.
    Made life a lot simpler and kept hose length to a minimum.

There...think about that.
    Last edited by clocker; 09-01-2008 at 01:53 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    lol looks sweet clocker havent seen an updated pic of him in ages.
    What temps are you getting also whats the coldest you've ever acheaved?

My name is Dan for the people who care!

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast