Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast

Thread: Water cooled setup

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Shirley! Now i'm looking at mounts for the SSD's I'm growing kind of partial to one of these.

or this variation

I do have this one already from an old idea

I don't like the way they look like that but maybe I can modify it

Not sure which one yet though. What would you do with em Clock? think I could make one??

ALSO I can't believe I forgot to post this. I was thinking about taking on a Modded G5 project as you well know and I decided to check craigslist for shits and giggles and low and behold a guy was selling a g5 with a blown Mobo for $40 so I had to grab it. Looking now I kind of want a "pro" model with 2 DVD drives but I don'treally need it and for $40 fuck it. I am trying to get the damn components out but I'm a little lost due to Apple sucking ass like. I'll post pics later like I'm even checking local powder coating prices
    Last edited by Detale; 12-19-2009 at 12:48 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #372
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Jeez, $40?
    You got a smokin deal, the seller is an idiot.

Know what I'm gonna do with my SSDs?
    Couple of velcro tabs and stick em on the back of my mobo tray.
    No muss, no fuss, no hardware.

Oh by the way, I missed your earlier question about the "Russian sub clock".
    It's called a Nixie tube clock.
    Last edited by clocker; 12-19-2009 at 01:40 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #373
    Yeah in fact he even left the DVD, HDD, power supply and they all work fine. I know little about Macs but it's the Dual 1.8Ghz model. Still a huge pain to get the components out of the fucker. Good thing I'm "handy" and have a torx set here and different allen sizes. apparently these arent meant to come out. I may just beat it out of there in pieces like.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #374
    Wait till you disassemble the case itself to mod it for a real motherboard tray.
    About 2 million of those little Torx fuckers.

Very curious how you plan on dealing with the integrated board standoffs and mounting the tray to the (fixed) sidepanel.
    Very curious, indeed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #375
    Well I think I am going to use plexi glass as it's easier to cut and from what i can tell I can attach it to the existing standoffs with some screws and attach smaller standoffs to the plexi. Think it'll work?

I'm still just talking through my ass as I haven't even see what I'm up against yet. I was too tired tonight to go look at it so.....

Not just any plexi either. The AC ryan red 3mm one here

Last edited by Detale; 12-19-2009 at 05:38 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #376
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I just used some deltaco bracket things for mounting 2.5" drives I got when I bought the drives, and put the drives where the regular hds go in an aegis. (Mounting them the way they were supposed to be mounted didn't work with ssds, but flipping the brackets around worked well.) May post pics later of that, if I can find my phone cable. The raven will have to wait though, it's back in my apartment in the city, over 20 miles away.

I kind of like clocker's idea, though, people say ssds are supposed to develop some heat, like ram, but I've never really seen it (granted, there are two 92mm fans blowing straight at my hd bay), so strapping them to a flat surface with velcro sounds ideal to me. Maybe the side of my 5.25" bays. They'll take up less room, whilst looking pretty.

EDit: Balls, I just picked up the new graphics card, an evga gt 240 intended for dedicated physx. It came with a green pcb, not a black one like in the picture

At least the fan controller they sent me was black, I'd have been even more annoyed if I'd gotten the blue one, again.
    Last edited by Snee; 12-19-2009 at 11:05 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #377
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Well I think I am going to use plexi glass as it's easier to cut and from what i can tell I can attach it to the existing standoffs with some screws and attach smaller standoffs to the plexi. Think it'll work?
    Nope.
    The Apple standoffs are fairly tall (not to mention, swaged into the sidepanel), so if you use them as a foundation, then put a piece of plexi on that, then put standoffs on THAT...your motherboard is now sitting way towards the middle of the case instead of nestled over to one side.

If you use a piece of plexi to mount the motherboard, what about the backplane?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #378
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    I just used some deltaco bracket things for mounting 2.5" drives I got when I bought the drives, and put the drives where the regular hds go in an aegis. (Mounting them the way they were supposed to be mounted didn't work with ssds, but flipping the brackets around worked well.) May post pics later of that, if I can find my phone cable. The raven will have to wait though, it's back in my apartment in the city, over 20 miles away.

I kind of like clocker's idea, though, people say ssds are supposed to develop some heat, like ram, but I've never really seen it (granted, there are two 92mm fans blowing straight at my hd bay), so strapping them to a flat surface with velcro sounds ideal to me. Maybe the side of my 5.25" bays. They'll take up less room, whilst looking pretty.

EDit: Balls, I just picked up the new graphics card, an evga gt 240 intended for dedicated physx. It came with a green pcb, not a black one like in the picture

At least the fan controller they sent me was black, I'd have been even more annoyed if I'd gotten the blue one, again.
    Deltaco!?

I'm confused.

As far as the GFX card goes you could order the GTX 275 backplate and mod it fairly easily as I did to fit. I have the 260 so it mostly fit other than some screw holes lining up. There's a saying" Pics or it never happened"

Well Clock how tall would you say the original mac standoffs are. If i drill holes so that they sit "inside" or through the plexi so that the "top" of the apple standoff is the base of the Mobo then mount the new standoffs from the backside of the plexi like. I'll make a simple pic like.

so I am "hiding" some space screwing from both sides of the plexi. I guess the worst case I could always cut the original standoffs and epoxy a new one in there.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #379
    It's never been clear to me exactly how those guys were doing it.
    I do know that the original standoffs can be removed without cutting...get a small, deepwell socket that will just slide over the standoff and put a long extension in it.
    The wobble/bend the socket and the standoff will pop out.

Supposedly.

I'd try it on one that's not in the way of anything, just in case.

You still haven't said what you think you'll do about the backplane area.

On a side note...
    I'm holding two OCZ Vertex 30GB SSDs in my grubbly little hand.
    Got 'em from Microcenter where they were only $10 more apiece than Newegg ($109/per, after rebate).
    I figured $20 was worth not having to wait till (probably) after Christmas to get them.
    Shall return in a few hours- Jeebus willing- with some preliminary thoughts...
    Last edited by clocker; 12-19-2009 at 07:24 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #380
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post

Deltaco!?

I'm confused.

As far as the GFX card goes you could order the GTX 275 backplate and mod it fairly easily as I did to fit. I have the 260 so it mostly fit other than some screw holes lining up. There's a saying" Pics or it never happened"
    I'll make sure to post some pics once I've got the damned cable.

Don't think I'll need a backplate or anything anyhow, it won't be visible through the window, it'll be sitting too far to the back of the case. And I'm generally not that bothered with colour-matching my stuff, just wanted the black pcb for symmetry, I guess.

As for Deltaco, the firm bearing that name in Scandinavia is a whole different animal. They import and rebrand some computer stuff, and for some of it they just act as a reseller. I expect that which they elect to do for a specific part depends on what brand it was to begin with. IE: my 2.5"-mounts were probably noname stuff (which doesn't matter much when it's just bits of steel).

Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast