Thread: Whats in there for games as torrents develop?

Giorgi's Avatar Creative Personality
    What I mean is that trackers actually increasing some of staff's sales like:

1. As for music - you download music album if you like it you go and buy it because:

* you get nifty lyrics, some extras and original cd + u support your beloved musician(s)

2. as for movies - you download movie and if you like it you go to cinema to:

* view it on big screen, get dolby sound, get there with someone else, or buy dvd to get some extras, cuts etc.

3. as for soft - you download some soft and if you like it buy it because you get:

* support, updates, support dev group. etc.

BUT

games... why would anyone buy games anymore?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    nsk's Avatar Sharer BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    To play online would be the main one, and maybe to get downloadable content, I dunno what else, online leader boards? controls manual? same as with software, updates, support etc

I know you can still play online with most downloads if you get the right patch, but it can be a hassle, especially if the game updates alot.

Only PC games I've bought are through steam, games like CS:S etc to play online, wouldn't buy single player PC games.
    Last edited by nsk; 01-22-2008 at 09:31 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    svr's Avatar Ultimata Warrior BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    You can get lyrics online too.

Some people have huge screens home too, 50 to over 100", surrounds sounds and whatnot. Plus you can pause and take bathroom break or whatever. And you dont have to listen the annoying turds who think its necessary to comment everything what happens in the movie.

For games you have online play and in some cases copy protection such as starforce makes it harder to crack but who buys SF infested software anyway. And games have extra material too, like posters, manuals.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Giorgi View Post

BUT

and that is one of the reasons why game developers are producing more games for the consoles and less for pc

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    OTO's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBob View Post

BUT

and that is one of the reasons why game developers are producing more games for the consoles and less for pc
    Yeap

I agree with you.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by nsk
    To play online would be the main one
    My main one, too.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBob View Post

BUT

That is absolutely why they are being released for the console often times a year prior to the PC.

yo

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I don't see any difference between games and anything else listed.
    I mean, it's the same reason people buy special edition games - even when they just come in a neat case with pointless extras.
    Some people like to have the real copy. Some people like to support the developers.

Some people don't care of course just as some people don't care about the things you listed above for everything else. It all depends.

The only huge factor separating games from the rest is generally the price - which is much higher on average. I think that's the biggest problem with games and the reason there is less incentive to buy them.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    RoBz's Avatar Member
    If you pirate a game for the PC you usually can't play online on any half decent servers.
    If you pirate a game for the 360 it's possible they'll ban you from XBL.
    We can't pirate games for the PS3 really at the moment, there has been an exploit found quite recently, but will only run old games from the HDD.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I buy one game every year or less but I watch dozens of movies and listen to many cds/mixes.

I can't be bothered to even find a cracked server so I just play COD4 MP using my legit copy.