Thread: Usenet at college?

I'm an avid torrenter but I don't want to get called out by my school (first year of college) and lose my internet access next year for the uploading I'd be doing. I used to use Usenet for a year or so and was quite fond of it (what I wasn't fond of was the paying). Does anyone know of issues using it (specifically Giganews) behind a large university's (in the US) network?

Connection issues from IP addresses and whatnot came to my mind.
    Any input is appreciated.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    Quote Originally Posted by iMyst View Post
    I'm an avid torrenter but I don't want to get called out by my school (first year of college) and lose my internet access next year for the uploading I'd be doing. I used to use Usenet for a year or so and was quite fond of it (what I wasn't fond of was the paying). Does anyone know of issues using it (specifically Giganews) behind a large university's (in the US) network?

Connection issues from IP addresses and whatnot came to my mind.
    Any input is appreciated.
    Probably not and I personally have not heard of it. Mainly they are out to block or shape the p2p traffic. With Usenet there is no uploading unless you want to, which you already know having used usenet before. Giganews allows connections over port 80 http and port 23 telnet as well as default nntp 119, I cant really see a large university blocking port 80 because then you mine as well shut down the network, lol, but if they did there is always SSL. Best way to find out though is to get the 10 gig trial account giganews offers and see how it is. You can also try to run some traceroutes from you to them and from them to you and see what is going on.
    Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 08-26-2008 at 04:13 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Ah, I'd forgotten they offered multiple ports for access. Once I get to the dorms later this week I'll run the traceroutes and try the trial. Thanks a lot.