Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Browse Page!

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    OK, After running a tracker for god knows how long, it seems to me that as soon as a torrent goes onto the 2nd page of browse, it may as well be dead, it will pick up a few downloaders every now and again over its lifetime, but nothing spectacular.

So do you think the browse page is fine the way it is (on nearly all trackers out there) and if not, how would you change it (because i have not got a clue lol).

It would be great if a 2 year old torrent, was just as popular as a brand new uploaded torrent, but lets face it they are not, Sometimes when i recycle a torrent, (bring it back to the top of browse from the bottom of browse) it will get 500 more snatches, and i just think, why the hell did they not just download it anyway. (so the people are there that want it, they either just do not know they want it because its on the last page, or they are scared to download it because its on the last page).

We came up with the SP system so everyone could download any torrent on the tracker whenever they liked, but most members cant see the wood for the trees and are still scared to touch old torrents.

So my argument is, what do they do on other sites, just hit and run on them, but even then, they are still going to take a ratio hit, so I have never understood the "SP only takes me to a 1 ratio so I wont download" argument i keep hearing, at least it gives you a 1 ratio.

This is just a quick rant/thread before I go to watch the match, but if you could change the browse page, how would you do it?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    I guess that's true, the majority of people usually either go right to the front page to see what's new, or go and search for something in particular that they want.

As for addressing that issue, it could be tricky. I've seen a 'bump' feature on some trackers, which allow a user to bump a torrent that isn't on the front page, right to the front spot, to get more leechers or whatever. It could be abused on a tracker with a lot of people.

Another way would just to make the first page bigger! Change the default 'torrents per page' to something like 100.

And, congratulations on the anniversary.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    Have users rate the game, have a classics section.

I usually either sort by most seeders (or leechers) or check out the Top 10 page on trackers that have them. Its true, I rarely go past the first page.

A staff picks section would be cool too.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    People are lazy and dont go past the first page most of the time. This is why recycling works well. I dunno how the recycle thing works, but perhaps set an auto recycle that will recycle any torrent snached more then X times, and that has not been snatched in X days (weeks...).
    Last edited by Tokeman; 08-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    F3n1x's Avatar 0x34a BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Change default torrents /page to 100..
    Do a week sugestion torrent in top of browse page, with 5old torrents that are near dead and are very good...

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Did somebody just score??

You don't always fancy vanilla ice cream or a mars bar until you see it in front of you, it's not always what you need, it's what takes your eye at the time you are looking, classic marketing strategy.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    If I've got a good ratio then I will download old torrents. If I have a crappy ratio then I won't, until I have a good ratio.

Then again, stoi, at your tracker there is a ratio requirement for each torrent. So by downloading an old torrent someone is binding into a contract that they will seed it until the cows come home. Maybe they don't think their computer will live that long.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    If I've got a good ratio then I will download old torrents. If I have a crappy ratio then I won't, until I have a good ratio.

Then again, stoi, at your tracker there is a ratio requirement for each torrent. So by downloading an old torrent someone is binding into a contract that they will seed it until the cows come home. Maybe they don't think their computer will live that long.
    you see this is the fucking problem. (and yes i am swearing about it because it pisses me right off)

On any other tracker out there, they will have to seed it till the cows come home, if they do not want a hit and run on that torrent.

On BCG they seed it for 3 days + say a max on a month and thats for a 25 gig 360 4 disc game, or a PS3 bluray game.

So the max you will ever have to seed any torrent is a month, and a lot more are way under that, 5-10 days usually.

but on any other tracker, you would have to seed it till the cows come home.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Hardly anyone downloads what they want anymore. It's all about the numbers for most users.
    Now go away.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Don't make the browse page the first thing a person sees. Instead make all the categories with the last 5 uploaded torrents showing. If somebody wants to view a category it will only show that systems torrents. This will show the user alot more torrents than before as each category will have its own first browse page.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast