Thread: Why speedtest?

flashback3r's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3

Question Mark

I've seen that many giveaways require a speedtest. But there's no minimum upspeed requirement. So my question is:

Why do people want speedtests then?
    RIP Swebits <3

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by flashback3r View Post
    I've seen that many giveaways require a speedtest. But there's no minimum upspeed requirement. So my question is:

Why do people want speedtests then?
    Because people need to know that the candidate has a connection that will allow him/her to keep a good ratio in case of being selected.
    But in my opinion is one of the most absurd things that can be requested... I could have a 10 Mbps/10Mbps and 12 seeedboxes, but if I donīt like the site I wonīt upload a single bit. Besides, thatīs the easiest thing to fake.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    To me, it seems like something people just mimic from other people. As Nemrod said, it's easy to fake yours and just paste someone elses. I feel the same way about ratio proofs, although those are not so easily faked.

Besides, they aren't even useful. If I was a 56k user but had a Torrentflux account hosted on a 100mbit server, my speed test would suck but I could have decent speeds on torrents nonetheless.

If anything, direct profile links should be used for things like this and such (given in private that is).

they didn't built Rome in one day