Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: gbit torrentflux

someone from here had 42 users on a gigabit server I don't say it is right but it is double than 20

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    BANNED BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    someone from here had 42 users on a gigabit server I don't say it is right but it is double than 20
    Ive had 10 on a server with 1gig of ram and a 1.2ghz celeron and it ran ok most of the time.
    Thats why at the start i thought 20 users on a gbit with quadcore and 8sticks of ram would be fine..i still think it would be fine
    But cant be arsed with the hassel.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i dunno how many HDDs you have, but that is, as someone said correctly before, the bottleneck of the system. to accommodate 20 users it's necessary an insane I/O rate, and only very few selected HDDs configs would deal with it.

unless you have created at least 2 raid0 arrays (meaning 4x hdd), and separate the users amongst them, you will have lots of troubles in peak loads. imagine 4 users downloading at the same time from ScT... you're fucked. now imagine 20. because, and i suppose you know, write cycles are much slower than read cycles.

never in this life that server will handle decently 20 users. that's not realistic. I've set up some servers in the past (assembly, etc etc) and i know how much of an headache it can be to not degrade its performance just due to the use of cheapo HDDs and poor raid arrays.

and those 8gbs for 20 users is more than enough. tflux will not hit it hard as it is a dynamic allocation, and configuring its cache and refresh options/privileges correctly, should not be a problem. Essentially, to not make this server become a disaster, lots and lots of per-account cache tweaking would be necessary, and a smart pro-active surveillance on each users usage.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 11-25-2008 at 06:42 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    i think it may be a big administrative challenge to run 20 with acceptable performance , nevertheless a nice experience ..

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    jaszypoo's Avatar Slide away! BT Rep: +2
    20 people? holy moly! Why not try 10 for now and increase it later on

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    uTorrent (and TF probably just the same) will not be able to serve data fast enough if you have many active torrents. Look at the speed tab in uTorrent and view the physical disk requests. There's a threshold how fast it can read from the HD, no matter how much cache you might have allocated. Your users will not experience high bandwidth if there are too many active torrents.

I have a Kimsufi 2XL and have 1GB RAM allocated for uTorrent cache. Example: When I have 20 active torrents with sufficient leechers then I'll seed at 3-4 MB/sec but if reduce the number to 5-10 then it will immediately go up to 6-8MB/sec. Because now more frequently requested torrent pieces stay in the cache for longer (less data to go through the cache) and don't require disk access.

You need a RAID-0 increase disk I/O's.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    im interested can ya let me know please slayer the details many thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123