Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3.16ghz cpu running at 2.00 ghz. I want my speed!

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    D., that's how EIST works, it drops the multiplier in low load conditions and bumps it up when necessary.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Oh I thought it dropped the FSB not the multiplier Oops my bad

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    as stated earlier, intel speedstep changes the multiplier(only), when it wants to save power. put the cpu to work and within a blink of an eye, the 6 magically will change to a 9

if your overlclocking, you should disable speedstep via bios

edit: opps didnt see second page

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Does anyone here know the answer to this question: when Intel's SpeedStep and AMD's PowerNow lower the operating voltage, do they do it as a percentage of the full voltage?

The reason I'm asking the question is simply this. If I overclock by raising the base frequency and raise the peak voltage accordingly, is there any need to disable SpeedStep/PowerNow? After all, if the processor isn't under load then I see no reason why it needs to run at full speed. Of course, Since both speedStep and PowerNow both work by cutting the multiplier even the reduced performance levels will have been enhanced so it is a likely that the corresponding voltages will also need to be raised. If they work by adjusting the voltage proportionately then hopefully the increased maximum voltage should have the desired effect at reduced power levels.

Comments?

BTW, I noticed last night that PowerNow wasn't working on my X2, that AMD have relinquished control of the updates to Microsoft and that Microsoft said there were no updates. Even after getting hold of the latest drivers they would not install (although Installshield insisted that they WERE installed). It took quite some effort to force the system to accept the latest drivers and get PowerNow working again. I really don't understand why hardware manufacturers dump the responsibility onto Microsoft when Microsoft are so notoriously poor at getting driver updates right.
    Last edited by lynx; 09-09-2008 at 05:59 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have no idea...it's generally recommended that SpeedStep be disabled if overclocking so I've never explored it's foibles.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    you might get away with not disabling speedstep if you overclock slightly. But if your OCing a lot, you wont be able to hit higher Mhz cuz of instability/undervoltage

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Or leave it as it is and enjoy cooler temps and lower power usage.
    Can't argue with the "lower power useage" part but I saw absolutely no difference temp-wise with the processor at 2GHz or 4GHz (stock is 3GHz).
    The 45nm Intels run at such low voltage (especially compared to older AMD stalwarts) that heat is almost a non-issue these days.

Now vid cards are the volcanoes...

unlike the P4s.... an age gone by thankfully..... they were attrocious for heat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12