Thread: Why are files reposted on Mininova?

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but I have noted that when really popular titles are first posted on Mininova that what appear to be duplicates of the file are quickly reposted.

For example, two groups (BeStDivX and DEViSE) recently released DVDRips of Iron Man. At the time of this post there are well over 50 different torrents for these two releases listed on Mininova, http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=+Iron+Man+DVDRip.

The duplicates are really similar: for the BeStDivX release all have the same file size (about 1.4GB), the same file structure (2 CD's rar'd in 48 parts each), were posted shortly after one another (most between Thu, 04 Sep 2008, 21:00 and Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:00 +0200, but then several follow-ups). The only differences I can see are in the exact name of the file, the occasional addition of a description file, and the info hash (some are also on private trackers).

All of the torrents have at least one seed. Since I am pretty sure people are not downloading the entire thing that fast, it would seem that original seed (one person?) is present on multiple trackers (those most are on TPB) -- it seems odd to be involved in so many swarms at once

Is this one person posting the same file, and if so why the duplicates? And if this is multiple posters why are they bothering?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by NYTReader View Post
    Sorry if this is a really basic question, but I have noted that when really popular titles are first posted on Mininova that what appear to be duplicates of the file are quickly reposted.

For example, two groups (BeStDivX and DEViSE) recently released DVDRips of Iron Man. At the time of this post there are well over 50 different torrents for these two releases listed on Mininova, http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=+Iron+Man+DVDRip.

The duplicates are really similar: for the BeStDivX release all have the same file size (about 1.4GB), the same file structure (2 CD's rar'd in 48 parts each), were posted shortly after one another (most between Thu, 04 Sep 2008, 21:00 and Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:00 +0200, but then several follow-ups). The only differences I can see are in the exact name of the file, the occasional addition of a description file, and the info hash (some are also on private trackers).

All of the torrents have at least one seed. Since I am pretty sure people are not downloading the entire thing that fast, it would seem that original seed (one person?) is present on multiple trackers (those most are on TPB) -- it seems odd to be involved in so many swarms at once

Is this one person posting the same file, and if so why the duplicates? And if this is multiple posters why are they bothering?
    you should join a good private tracker. then you don't have to make up your mind about dupes and who uploaded them. public trackers are a mess when it comes to naming rules and dupes. sometimes it's hard to find the original scene release.

on good private trackers the uploads are moderated and organized, so there's no dupes confusion.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Simple really. Mininova is not a tracker (even though i think they have one now but not for this sort of stuff), all they are is a torrent index site.

so you will find that those 50-100 torrents with the same names are from 50-100 different Public and even some Private trackers.

They put them on Mininova to

a: get as many peers as possible

b: get noticed, Mininova is a great way to get your site noticed and members in.