Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn After Reading

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Burn After Reading is the latest Coen brothers film, stars John Malkovich, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Tilda Swinton, Francis MacDormand and J.K. Simmons.

In a recent interview the brothers said they first came up with a list of actors they wanted to work with, then defined a character for each actor and finally wrote a story in which the characters would interact.
    Seems like a weird way to approach a film but it works.

Much like Fargo, the story revolves around people in way over their heads and events spiral- almost at random- way out of control.

Malkovich gets the movies biggest laugh out loud line...
    Spoiler: Show

...but everyone gets their moments.

J.K. Simmons has a small but crucial role- he basically represents the audience. Simmons has become a stellar supporting actor and his turn here- constant incredulous bemusement- is priceless.

Pitt plays against type and Clooney's "basement project" is hilarious.

Any Coen brothers film is worth a viewing...this one is no exception.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    thought this was a very good film, but it seems incomplete. after the film was over i was left wanting more story. lol, loved malkovich's character. good stuff. coen bros fans need apply. 8.5/10

Spoiler: Show
    Last edited by mr. nails; 11-02-2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added spoiler
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I liked this movie very much , made copies for all the mates at work . Some liked it , others did n't get the Coen humor . No spoilers but very recommended .

Better than Fargo or Oh Brothers ? No but worth the bandwidth . I'm off to watch Millers Crossing again , I love the idiots and irony of their films I think .

Guy's ever notice it's the things off screen that make you think the most ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 11-01-2008 at 11:00 PM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Miller's Crossing is my second favorite Coen film peat.The Big Lebowski is first only because The Dude is such a perfect character.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Loved the film in an otherwise banal week. The Coens seem to have struck a trend now in leaving their films open-ended. The pay-off was left to a conversation between the 2 clueless SS men. Much like the stark conclusion of No Country For Old Men. Or was that just me?

My favourite is Raising Arizona with Miller's Crossing running a close second. Damn fine films.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Miller's Crossing is my second favorite Coen film peat.The Big Lebowski is first only because The Dude is such a perfect character.

Ya their characters are like someone we all know and they choose the actors so well . Francis McDermond is a great actress too and reminds me of a few women in my life . Crazy one minute, verunable the next .

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Peat - no offense intended, like - do you take heavy doses of ketamine before posting on FST?

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by VillageShaman View Post
    Peat - no offense intended, like - do you take heavy doses of ketamine before posting on FST?

No and didn't think posting in movies was a crime . If you have a problem with it put me on ignore .

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    They should not have put in all those top notch actors at all.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    They should not have put in all those top notch actors at all.
    That was the whole point of the film.
    According to the brothers themselves, they made a list of actors they'd like to work with, created a character for each actor then wrote a story that integrated the characters. Kind of like The Big Lebowski but with a larger, more star studded ensemble.
    More or less a completely backasswards way to do it and certainly the reason that the film turned out the way it did.

I enjoyed the film the first time I saw it but wonder if it will hold up to repeated viewings like my personal favorite Fargo does.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast