Thread: Limit Speeds, Yet Still Play Games....

Poster BT Rep: +4
    So, basically I'm wondering, with my current speeds, what is the maximum that I could limit utorrent download/upload, and still play games with utorrent running in the background with no lag.

My ISP tells me I am paying for 4 meg down/384k up

This is what speedtest tells me

So, I could limit utorrent to about 200kB down/20 kB up, and still play games, like even starcraft with no lag?

2. Games   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    it will depend on some other factors.
    u should leave at least 10k upstream clean to play, and 50k downstream.
    About lagging, if you are behind a router, and it is not a good one dealing with lots of simultaneous connections u might encounter a lot of lag.
    if you have a modem connected to your PC, hopefully these problems won't reveal themselves so harshly .

3. Games   -   #3
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    good advice cabalo,

from personal experience - im behind a router and if i want to play a FPS online, bittorent is off, cuz the lower the ping the better(can make the difference between life and death)

i have dsl 7dl, 1ul

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

4. Games   -   #4
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Theres a feature in utorrent that throttles your download speed if your upload speed is too low.. you should set it to 15 if your download speed is extremely slow.

5. Games   -   #5
    Boutros's Avatar Poser BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Bandwidth availability is a factor but I also agree that the amount simultaneous connections that your modem/router can handle plays its part too.

Also, if your modem/router supports it, you might want to set up QoS to prioritize those packets which are for gaming over the rest.

6. Games   -   #6
    with the speed you have i would cap your upload at about 25 kb/s in your torrent client if that's what your reffering to. My upload is about twice yours and i cap my upload in utorrent at 50 kb/s and i don't get any lag at all. Good luck with everything though.

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    well m8 you need to shut the tap in u torrent a little bit...
    downstrem lower it for 50 kb=s
    and upstrem..... well leave it on 10-15 kb/s
    it works for me while i'm playing cs

8. Games   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Well, I found out that, I can out max out my download, and limit my upload to about 10kbs, and still no lag....

Seems download doenst matter

9. Games   -   #9
    Can usually use ~80% of bandwidth for downloading w/o experiencing much lag in FPS games (depending on your connection of course)
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.