Thread: Romanian Student Arrested For New Blaster(f) Worm

Romanian Student Arrested for New Blaster(F) Worm

LONDON (Reuters) - Police Wednesday said they arrested a 24-year-old Romanian man suspected of releasing a new version of the Blaster Internet worm, the second arrest of a copycat virus writer in the past week

Meanwhile, the main culprit behind the original super-potent Blaster remains at large. The original worm, which also goes by the name "LovSan," surfaced last month, infecting hundreds of thousands of computers running Microsoft Windows.

Authorities identified the author of the latest worm strain as Dan Dumitru Ciobanu from the northern Romanian city of Iasi.

Police were unavailable for comment, but issued a statement late Wednesday through BitDefender -- the Romanian firm that helped police track down the suspect -- confirming the suspect's identity.

He is a 24-year-old student at the Technical University of Iasi, the statement said.

Mihai Radu, a spokesman for BitDefender, said Ciobanu has not yet been charged. Under recently passed cybercrime legislation, he faces a prison term of three to 15 years if convicted, Radu added.

Police confiscated two of Ciobanu's computers. The machines will be analyzed in the presence of the defendant, his attorney and the local district attorney, officials said, as early as Thursday.

He was in police custody as of Wednesday night, Radu said.

TAME VARIANT

Ciobanu is suspected of releasing a relatively tame variant of Blaster known as "Blaster.F." It first appeared Monday, but has not inflicted the widespread damage of the original Blaster worm.

Last week, U.S. authorities arrested 18-year-old Jeffrey Lee Parson for creating and distributing the Blaster "B" variant. "Ciobanu probably had the (Blaster) source code and modified it just like Parson," said Radu.

Like Parson, Ciobanu left behind big clues. The virus code contained a reference to Ciobanu's nickname "Enbiei," a message written in Romanian that named one of his teachers, and a link to the university Web site, which he intended to be the target of a denial of service attack, Radu said.

"Don't go to the Hydrotechnics faculty!!! You are wasting your time...Barsan, the retirement wants you!!!," read a translated version of the message supplied by Finnish anti-virus firm F-Secure.

"We knew all along he was from Romania," said Mikko Hypponen, manager of anti-virus research at F-Secure. He added Blaster.F was considered a mild threat. He was unaware of how many computers it infected.

"I don't know what upset this young man that caused him to write a virus that attacked his teacher," said Radu, adding that in identifying his teacher it made him easy to track down.

A major break in the Parson investigation came when security experts found a clue in the code of his virus referring to his online alias, "teekid."

Parson faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. His next court hearing is set for Sept. 17 in Seattle.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ternet_virus_dc

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Interesting read,thanks for that.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    OMG 10 YEARS!....

THE LAW SUX!

this is prolly been said 100 times, but, SOME MURDERES DONT GO TO JAIL FOR 10 YEARS!..

poor guy, i feel so sorry for him, even though when i got the msblast virus (or is that a diff virus) i smashed my pc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by huuramis@12 September 2003 - 11:10
    OMG 10 YEARS&#33;....

THE LAW SUX&#33;

this is prolly been said 100 times, but, SOME MURDERES DONT GO TO JAIL FOR 10 YEARS&#33;..

poor guy, i feel so sorry for him, even though when i got the msblast virus (or is that a diff virus) i smashed my pc.
    im not going to comment on the law.. but why the hell did he have to do it? what does he gain from it?
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by huuramis@12 September 2003 - 10:10
    OMG 10 YEARS&#33;....

THE LAW SUX&#33;

this is prolly been said 100 times, but, SOME MURDERES DONT GO TO JAIL FOR 10 YEARS&#33;..

The comparison to a murderer is specious.

Apples and oranges ( not to mention the fact that LOTS of murderers serve longer than 10 yrs.).

This moron, with malice aforethought, intentionally disrupted the lives of thousands and screwed around with a utility ( the internet) that has become crucial to modern life.

It wasn&#39;t a mistake, he didn&#39;t accidentally click on the wrong button, he MEANT to do it.

It might take longer than ten years for this idiot to grow up enough to be free to use a computer again.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    internet.news
    hey,

yes, it is sounds unbelievable up to 15years. But that is only the max.
    It depends on each case and the judge/court how many years he will get.

I think that it would be not mor than 2-3 years in normal case.

this maximum is a figure that should give the court an imagination and
    a starting point how many years he could get.

yes, you are right some murderers only get some years - that is sometimes sad.
    assame sad as the fact that also murderers are just humans like the judges - that is sometimes hard to udnerstand that all the violence is just caused by humans and it is really really sad&#33;

thanks anyway, david.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    [/QUOTE]The comparison to a murderer is specious.

Apples and oranges ( not to mention the fact that LOTS of murderers serve longer than 10 yrs.).

This moron, with malice aforethought, intentionally disrupted the lives of thousands and screwed around with a utility ( the internet) that has become crucial to modern life.

It wasn&#39;t a mistake, he didn&#39;t accidentally click on the wrong button, he MEANT to do it.

It might take longer than ten years for this idiot to grow up enough to be free to use a computer again. [/QUOTE]

Are you serious? WHO GIVES A FUCK IF HE CRASHES THE WHOLE FUCKING INTERNET IT STILL DOESN&#39;T COMPARE TO MURDER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :x

Edit: didn&#39;t mean to quote huuramis

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Originally posted by huuramis@12 September 2003 - 12:10
    OMG 10 YEARS&#33;....

THE LAW SUX&#33;

i don&#39;t feel sorry for him at all, he deserves it, if not more let that be a lesson to the other morans out there that want to have fun at other peoples acount

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+12 September 2003 - 12:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 12 September 2003 - 12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-huuramis@12 September 2003 - 12:10
    OMG 10 YEARS&#33;....

THE LAW SUX&#33;&nbsp;

i don&#39;t feel sorry for him at all, he deserves it, if not more let that be a lesson to the other morans out there that want to have fun at other peoples acount [/b][/quote]
    here, here.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.