Thread: Which Server Os?

I am in the process of moving and my dad is going to open up his own Real Estate office. Rather than pay outrageous prices for a network tech, he wants me to get some experience in the field (as that is my college major), and set up the network for him. I know the basics of running and setting up the server from experience in the past, but I don't know which OS is better.

Anyone used either Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server, or both? I would greatly appreciate some ups and downs of each before I make the decision.

Also, if you have a place that I can buy them for a pretty decent price, that would be great, too, as I know they can get rather expensive.

Thanks a lot!

- : | Sibre | : -

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    For the time being at least stick to Windows 2000, as it has been around for a while and has managed to withstand a lot of attacks with the patches.

Windows 2003 server, while claiming to be very stable has IMO got a lot of issues with IIS. Additionally, a huge number of bugs are usually fixed in the first service pack, so better wait until that comes out.

Also, Windows 2003 server requires a LOT of ram, much more than 2000 for the same tasks, and usually, more CPU time.

Monica

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Well, I've never used Windows 2003 Server, but win2k is the best system for running IIS, it's been tested and proven... but maybe I'm wrong.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Win2k is far more confiureable than server 2003 for a novice. Still, get familiar with security bulletins and tools. The first you'll need is IIS Lockdown with URL scan. Subscribe to Sans news, MS security bulletins, and whatever other good ones people can recommend. And make sure you read them!! Even once a week might be stretching things in the current climate.