Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading...

Reading has been quite slow these past few months, but the last couple of weeks I've felt a new wind coming. Here's what's up:
    1. Private Citizens by Tony Tulathimutte - This was recommended by a friend, and I was quite skeptical about the book when I read the blurb, but it's very entertaining and intelligent. It's funny at times too. Been a very good read so far. Might finish this weekend.
    2. I recently put together a list of basic, 101-level reading materials on formal logic. This week I'm focusing on fallacies, more particularly on transductive reasoning. I thought formal logic would be too dry, but it is a good excuse to use whacky examples to prove or disprove a point, which is fun

2. Lounge   -   #552
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    "Spice and Wolf" by Isuna Hasekura (Volume 2)

"It's like meeting an old friend again!"

(For anon.)

51U8Yl234xL._SL500_.jpg
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

3. Lounge   -   #553
    Nine Star Hegemon Body Art

4. Lounge   -   #554
    Stefan Burban
    Blutlaufer Fantasie / Thriller

5. Lounge   -   #555
    I just finished Don Fernando by Fournier-Aubry. pretty good if you like adventure books

6. Lounge   -   #556
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    In between books with my Kindle.

I remember one of my choices is Edward Snowden's story.

Choice is still up in the air - got about fifty to pick from...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #557
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Killers of The Flower Moon by David Grann

I ran across this one and finished it while ago.

It is a true story about murders, greed and a tribal curse of legacy.

The efforts that the author went to research and cobble this into a coherent work of Non-Fiction is truly monumental.

Of all the stories I listened to as of late being audio books... this one really stuck with me… in analog or paper book terms I categorize it as a “page turner” ‘nuff said.

FM.jpg

The Film

So far...

What I have been able to garner so far was the actors and director.
    Impressively… Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert DeNiro, Jesse Plemons, Lily Gladstone to name only a few and Directed by Martin Scorsese. I believe the film is over 3 hours long!

I believed it has premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and that it might be at the local cinemas by October 2023. If a decent trailer shows up I'll post it. (Of course there is always IMDB)

Edit: A decent trailer is now in "Coming Attractions" ...they musta read me mind.
    Last edited by Stehle; 05-18-2023 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Update
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

8. Lounge   -   #558
    planning on some Jack Carr next

9. Lounge   -   #559
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    "Drunken Fireworks" by Stephen King

I may have posted this before... I probably do so every year on FST or other forums I visit, BUT...

It’s almost time again! It is a humorous story by the master of horror Stephen King.

It is one of my favorites, (having personally to do with the fireworks trade), so maybe it just me.

Think he can’t do humor… think again. ‘nuff said.

Drunken Fireworks by Stephen King, to the best of my knowledge, was exclusively done as an audiobook and is relatively short at about 1:20 minutes. Excellent narration by Tim Sample which I believe adds to the story. A print version may be available by now though.

DF by SK.jpg

10. Lounge   -   #560
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Set myself target of reading 52 books this year. Currently on book 27, Roboute Gulliman: Lord of Ultramar by David Annandale.