Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading To Xp

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Should i use NTFS or FAT32?

Would it be worthwhile to do a full format or just a quick one?

Thanks
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    NTFS and if you have time, full format

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I usually do a full format to NTFS, the main advantage is security, especially if you're on a LAN or share your computer.
    Some gamers say FAT32 is quicker, but the jury is still out. If you need access to files from Win98/Me , you need FAT32,, or at least 1 FAT32 partition.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ive used both fat 32 and ntfs usually fat is used for the smaller hdd and ntfs for larger ones althought ntfs is a bit slower than fat ive found

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    NTFS for larger hard drives because it's more stable. I switched from FAT32 to NTFS and I haven't noticed any slow down. Go for a full format as well. sunrats right about the 98/ME files though. Hope this helps you out.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by sunrat@5 September 2003 - 10:46
    If you need access to files from Win98/Me , you need FAT32, or at least 1 FAT32 partition.
    does this mean i can't network a FAT computer with a NTFS computer?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    nfts seems better w/ xp but fat32 wont take up as much space. since nfts happens to use up extra space for no reason... well no they use it up for backup purposes or something and nfts is an active drive, while fat32 is a unactive drive... which means that you cant parition nfts while your in windows since its dangerous...

but i would go w/ nfts your decision tho

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ntfs will see a fat32 drive but not other way round. ie if you have your pc setup with your drive formatted to ntfs and you put in a slave drive that is fat32 your pc will see the drive and you will be able to access it but if you put an ntfs formatted drive in as a slave in a fat32 based pc it wont see the drive. networking two different pc's with one being ntfs and the other fat32 shouldnt be a problem.

edit... i would go for ntfs... its far more stable than fat32, stores the data more efficiently and has better security options like file encryption.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I've never had an issue with Fat32. NTFS seems strangely unstable with my laptop, which is why when ever I get the chance, I use Fat32. A lot of people seem to experience the reverse of that statement though, so in my case it may be my laptop. For networking though, you'll need to consider the already stated problems. NTFS drives can recognize FAT32 drives, but not vice-versa. That means, for networking purposes, having an NTFS server and a FAT32 client would be impossible. You could have a FAT32 server and an NTFS client, but all maintenance would have to be done on the client itself.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    My computer's oem disks sets up an extra fat32"diagnostic" partition that eats up about 7 gigs or so. Thing is, I got nortonsystemworks2003 which comes with ghost and roxio so that space is wasted. The main partition of about 33 gigs is ntfs. I would like to erase the fat32 so i can install dos and run dos stuff(the good tools in nsworks seem to be only dos/fat32 compatible) and run dos games dos style but I haven't done it yet.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast