Thread: FTP Issues with Server

Ion's Avatar Poster
    After follwing the awesome NaQ's Complete Setup Guide for Linux Seedboxes (Fedora Core/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu).

I find myself unable to use FTP to upload or delete anything. Is there a way to change permissions or something so that I can create folders and upload data via ftp?

I'm currently using Debian 4.0 (Etch) with FlashFXP. My ftp server is VSFTPD and uses TLS/SSH.
    Last edited by Ion; 09-30-2008 at 08:17 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Try editing the vsftpd.conf file for your VSFTPd.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    AS far as I can tell, the latest version of vsftpd is having problems. I am using my vsftpd.conf file that I have always used and still connot connect via FTP, it kinda sucks. Maybe try an older version of vsftpd?

That is, if youve already configured everything correctly and it still doesnt work.
    Last edited by puckface; 09-30-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    Go Leafs Go.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Ion's Avatar Poster
    Thx for the responses fellas. It's weird because I can download from the server ... it's really slow because it's using SSH but at least i can connect and download. I just can't upload or use the ftp program to delete files or folders.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Thx for the responses fellas. It's weird because I can download from the server ... it's really slow because it's using SSH but at least i can connect and download. I just can't upload or use the ftp program to delete files or folders.
    i did have the same problems on my server. I did install proftpd and everything works nice.

If you have desktop try to install proftpd and gproftpd. Its a gui for proftpd and its really easy to setup account and preferens

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Ion's Avatar Poster
    Thanks andra. Now if i can only find some instructions on installing this i will be good to go. I'm still a Linux noob.. Which version do you recommend?

Looks like i might need C++ compiler installed too?? I'm having problems installing proftpd
    Last edited by Ion; 10-04-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks andra. Now if i can only find some instructions on installing this i will be good to go. I'm still a Linux noob.. Which version do you recommend?

Looks like i might need C++ compiler installed too?? I'm having problems installing proftpd

apt-get install proftpd
    apt-get install gproftpd

then you can open gproftpd and start making accounts with just writing gproftpd .

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    MAKiT
    Login to vsftpd as root with your root password and you should be able to do anything. Upload files, delete files whatever you want.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Ion's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by andra View Post

apt-get install proftpd
    apt-get install gproftpd

then you can open gproftpd and start making accounts with just writing gproftpd .
    Thanks andra! All the guides I found were saying that I needed to recompile the latest tar.. but when I tryed I found out I didn't have a C++ compiler installed.

Wow! Great call andra!!! All is working great now. getting 2.5mb-3mb from my server with the ftp now!!

Thanks a million
    Last edited by Ion; 10-05-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost