Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Hasn't Anyone Noticed This?

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    The recent drop in the stock market is due to insane announcements by Paulson and Bush.

Doom and gloom statements by these folk had a direct bearing on the Dow dropping 800 points.

After AIG went to shit, we should have seen this drop but didn't (I think we dropped 200 points, nothing new). We only got the huge drop after it was announced that if we don't have a bailout approved, immediately, that we could have a depression.

Well, after a bailout wasn't approved, the Dow tanked.

Before the bailout talk, no tank.

The Bush speech was one of the most irresponsible I have ever heard. It was akin to yelling "FIRE" in a crowded building (which is illegal).

The mainstream and even sidestream media seems totally oblivious to this.

Am I the only one that noticed?

edit: Btw, if you haven't watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Indecision 2008) YOU ARE MISSING OUT BIG TIME!

The show is comedy gold when at the same time it is on point.
    Last edited by Busyman; 09-30-2008 at 11:54 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Today however, the Dow rose by 500 points and apparently Bush didn't say anything.

This merely confirms my theory that the stock market rises and falls on sheer voodoo gobbledegook and that economics is no more a science than astrology.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    This may seem unusual for you to here from me, but in this instance I think Bush has got it exactly right.

America doesn't seem to have grasped the depth of the problem, yhe rest of the world is trying to do something about it.

If you don't get your act together this week then there isn't going to BE a US financial market worth talking about.

We knew most of your politicians were naive internationally, I don't think we knew until now just how dim they really were in the general sense.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I want to know why oil falls below $100.00 a barrel today but gasoline prices take a week to drop .

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Because the wholesale price of oil (cost per barrel) and the retail price (cost per gallon of gasoline) are determined by two different things.
    Wholesale price is set by market speculation and retail by supply and demand.

Although it's maddening to see oil companies declare record quarterly profits (especially as they cut back production and and ask for tax breaks) what should be even more aggravating is exemplified by the current shortage in the Southeast.
    Our infrastructure is so antiquated and patchwork that while gas prices fall here in the west, fuel is unavailable in the south.
    This is a direct result of oil companies taking profit and neglecting to invest in hardware.
    When our system of refineries and pipelines becomes completely decrepit, you can bet that the taxpayer will once again be required to bailout another segment of corporate America.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Today however, the Dow rose by 500 points and apparently Bush didn't say anything.

This merely confirms my theory that the stock market rises and falls on sheer voodoo gobbledegook and that economics is no more a science than astrology.
    Actually confirms the point of the stock market rising and falling based on anticipation of growth or vice-versa.

Folks were expecting a bailout, it didn't happen, the Dow tanked.

Now folks are getting stock at bargain prices. Hell one of 'em.

In many cases, it's not voodoo. A mere announcement, new product, or a very important person moving their stock can affect a huge chunk of the market.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

In many cases, it's not voodoo. A mere announcement, new product, or a very important person moving their stock can affect a huge chunk of the market.
    And that's not voodoo, how?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8

And that's not voodoo, how?
    lol

It's mere reaction to hopes and fears of any given company. That company can affect an entire sector and so on.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

The stock exchange is the complete opposite of a betting shop.

Betting Shop:- Owner runs around in a Rolls Royce and the gamblers end up in poverty. Government won't cover losses.

Stock Exchange:- Gambler runs around in a Rolls Royce and the owners end up in poverty. Government could cover losses.
    Last edited by bigboab; 10-03-2008 at 07:33 AM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    The recent drop in the stock market is due to insane announcements by Paulson and Bush.

That bother's me too. If public confidence contributes so heavily to the performance of the stock market maybe they should be a little more carefull to avoid destroying it.

Slightly off topic:

On the daily show Bill clinton said that during the depression the terms of some of the loans at the time were rewritten to make to make them easier to pay off.
    When I heard that it seemed like the most obvious alternative to a bail out, and if it sounded like a good idea to me maybe just knowing something was being done would increase confidence to a point where the stock market would see a similar gain to the one we had.

I wish I'd heard more than just bailout vs no bailout somewhere other than on the daily show anyway.
    I only licked you for the salt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast