Thread: Seedbox Security - Avoiding Anti-P2P Groups?

Poster BT Rep: +5
    Does using a seedbox provide seeders/leechers a layer of self-protection against Anti-P2P groups, by making it more difficult for such groups to find out who you are and what you're doing (illegally, for example)...or not really?

Do they just send threatening letters to the seedbox provider insisting that they provide them with your paypal user info, as opposed to sending the same threatening letters to your ISP insisting that they be provided with your IP address?

If this is the case, does anyone know of any cleaver ways that one could go about paying for their seedbox that would limit the capabilities of Anti-P2P groups to track you down??

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Don't use any public trackers. That's the best thing you can possibly do.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
    Does using a seedbox provide seeders/leechers a layer of self-protection against Anti-P2P groups, by making it more difficult for such groups to find out who you are and what you're doing (illegally, for example)...or not really?

Do they just send threatening letters to the seedbox provider insisting that they provide them with your paypal user info, as opposed to sending the same threatening letters to your ISP insisting that they be provided with your IP address?

If this is the case, does anyone know of any cleaver ways that one could go about paying for their seedbox that would limit the capabilities of Anti-P2P groups to track you down??

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
    Get a leaseweb server and dont give ur correct info.
    Or get from a reseller and then u dont have to give any info.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    Don't use any public trackers. That's the best thing you can possibly do.
    That obviously does make a lot of sense, but I would think it's unlikely that no one has never received a threatening letter from one of the anti-P2P groups for his/her activities on a private tracker. I'm sure it happens far far less often, but I'd bet it still happens...

Having said that, does downloading from a private tracker (and only from private trackers) to my seedbox, and then downloading from the seedbox to my local machine provide any extra security that simply downloading directly to your own machine?

Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005 View Post
    Get a leaseweb server and dont give ur correct info.
    Or get from a reseller and then u dont have to give any info.
    Is your suggestion something that is only possible via leaseweb, and not other seedbox providers?

How does a person make a payment for something like this without providing their correct info?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    of course that if they want they can track you. after all, the host company just has to spill out which IP's you used to access the seedbox....

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Does anyone know of any cases in which an Anti-P2P group has busted someone who had downloaded from a private tracker from a seedbox?

I wonder if this has ever happened, or if they'd rather not waste their time, and instead focus on busting TPB & Mininova users??

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    more or less on public trackers do we see such issues coz therez a whole bunch of public jumping into axxo fxm fxg torrents all day long. Wont

be a prob on prv trackers. chill out..

is vpn over a box possible if one is using a windows os? Dont think any host wud allow this.
    Last edited by pplush259; 10-02-2008 at 06:52 PM.