Thread: Copyright Infringment notice, question

So I do GBs up and down weekly at home. My GF goes to Michigan State University and she downloaded a few things, and when I say a few, I mean easily under 1gb of content. Well anyways, today she got this little e-mail from MSU:

"A report has been filed with this office alleging that you are in violation
    of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 by making available
    (sharing) copyrighted material over the Internet. As this constitutes using
    your MSU network privileges to violate federal and state copyright laws, you
    are therefore also in violation of MSU's Network Acceptable Use Policy
    (AUP)"

They are giving her 48 hours to respond to the message. I haven't gotten one of these before some I'm looking for some help as to how seriously to take this threat. Obviously she won't be downloading or uploading anymore there. But what should she respond with? I'm assuming you never want to admit guilt!

Anyways, i appreciate any words of advice you guys can give me. Please give me some direction!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch07 View Post
    So I do GBs up and down weekly at home. My GF goes to Michigan State University and she downloaded a few things, and when I say a few, I mean easily under 1gb of content. Well anyways, today she got this little e-mail from MSU:

"A report has been filed with this office alleging that you are in violation
    of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 by making available
    (sharing) copyrighted material over the Internet. As this constitutes using
    your MSU network privileges to violate federal and state copyright laws, you
    are therefore also in violation of MSU's Network Acceptable Use Policy
    (AUP)"

They are giving her 48 hours to respond to the message. I haven't gotten one of these before some I'm looking for some help as to how seriously to take this threat. Obviously she won't be downloading or uploading anymore there. But what should she respond with? I'm assuming you never want to admit guilt!

Anyways, i appreciate any words of advice you guys can give me. Please give me some direction!

just say alot of people use that cpu. and that she will delete whatever it was that was illegal content. then stop using limewire and torrents!

instead use rapidshare or any other safe http / direct links. SEEDING/UPLOADING gets u into trouble.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Well she could just say her laptop (if she was using one) was stolen, and it was handed in later on that day, or many people use it, not just her...

I wouldn't take it very seriously though mate, these types of things are often there to scare you rather than to take action against you.