Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuck Nod32

Poster

Angry

I've been obliviously and happily running nod32's security suite(antivirus+firewall etc)
    no viruses ever,
    it updates often so I thought I was good to go.

On a whim(after a program appeared pinned to my start menu, I clicked it, it minimized itself to my tray, refused to respond and on reboot appeared to have vanished from my system) I installed SuperAntispyware
    still happy and nice and clean
    Then after getting more weird errors I said to myself, self you ought to try a different one just in case.

as of right now Avira is just over halfway through my system with over 40 detections, and even more warnings

many of them in the system recovery partition and randomly throughout my system.
    Needless to say I'm not renewing with Eset, I've heard some people run their antivirus and other programs in parallel since its gets along well with antispyare programs.
    I think I'm switching even though I like the layout and firewall interface better, I can't see any reason to keep both unless eset has firewalls that are miles better then the competition?
    Dreaming of falling into the EbookVortex.
    Hiding from the Non-fiction books.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Maybe, you were just doing it wrong. Nod32 fo' life!
    See ya in another life, brother.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    HMthePM's Avatar woweee BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Dont know man. I also loved nod32, but now my system has suddenly slowed down drastically. Specially boot time. I will check with some other anti vir to be sure.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    Maybe, you were just doing it wrong. Nod32 fo' life!
    Makes me wonder what version of Eset , what crack their using ( Nodlogin or Nodenabler) , what update site etc. Two posts tonite is quite a kowinkydink .

palestsinian's post :

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-sof...e2#post2990386

I'm running on 5 computers in my home , two at my in laws and countless friends computers with no ill affects .
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-04-2008 at 08:40 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I left it running completely normally, just updated the login/password as they got banned by Eset within a few days to a week each time(usually just long enough for an update or two) I had the full security suite running all the time with everything enabled so I'm not too sure how I was"doing it wrong"

I didn't think I had any ill effects either I assumed that since it scans everything coming in I was good to go.

unfortunately I've now found everything from a keystroke logger geared to banking information to piles of trojans and even some nasty word macros.

I ran a in depth system scan every week.
    Last edited by JGB; 10-04-2008 at 04:32 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Used to use Nod and loved it until..it began to suck for unknown reason.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    No anti virus detects everything .Nod is able to detect some things Avira or KAV cannot(and visa versa).
    Realize that even a 99% detection rate means that there are literally 1000's of things that might get through(and those are only the ones that they know about).

Generally Avira is going to be a bit better at detection and removal but it also gives more false positves( ill advised deleting of which can screw up your comp at least as bad as any virus) so there's a trade off.

I personally don't think it's worth changing AVs.If you do a lot of unsafe browsing I'd consider running a virtualization program like Sandboxie or ShadowUser first.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    So the final count is:
    Nod32: detected one issue in over a year.
    It's replacement: detected 60 nasty surprises in a day.

False positives are ok by me, it advises me on what I've got, I make the decision.
    I got one possibly false positive(which avira even stated could be a false positive on a crack) and 2 positives on things I want to keep since they are designed to be unpleasant.
    Since the cleanup I've stopped getting the random explorer crashes and the errors I was seeing frequently.

I'm not saying I've found the ultimate antivirus and won't hear any other points of view, however I am saying that Nod32 will not be in my system again anytime soon.
    I think I'll try kaspersky just for kicks now.
    Last edited by JGB; 10-04-2008 at 09:43 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Nod sux big red balls, try and get your hands on something else as soon as possible... only caused me troubles!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by HMthePM View Post
    Dont know man. I also loved nod32, but now my system has suddenly slowed down drastically. Specially boot time. I will check with some other anti vir to be sure.
    Hmm, I have noticed that nod is making my computer a little slower when it boots. Hopefully, it'll be fixed in subsequent virus updates.
    See ya in another life, brother.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast