Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hosting - ie vps is it any good

The option's are nice, had a Raptor1+ for a long time. Ran Windows Server Edition 2k3 on it, not too much, but I have little to no knowledge regarding Linux, so that was kinda an easy way out .

As stated, it depends on how often it's used by the other users and what they're doing with it as well, but you'll get decent to good speeds off of it . It works perfect, but as soon as you start doing a couple of things, for example trying to create a torrent whilst another is hash checking can take some more time. Plus, don't attempt to browse whilst doing the above, as that will slow down everything even more. Should work way faster on Linux though. Other than that it's a nice setup.

Recently ordered a dedicated server there though, as the amount of HD space on the Raptor+1 is just too little if you want to keep uploading and have some remaining active torrents. Much better . Still using Windows Server 2003 (Web Edition), but with the higher RAM (2GB in total now) it works sweet.

Might want to check it out, it's a little more expensive + setup costs, but you'll get more. Definately worth it.

Already uploaded 1.3TB and that's without fully utilizing it, within 7 days .

Edit:
    Regarding the options;
    Billing Cycle: your own choice, the longer the cycle, the less you pay
    Management Service: not really necessary
    OS: your own choice, use Linux if you have the know-how, otherwise go the safe road (as I have ) and pick Windows
    Connection: same, the higher the connection, the higher the speeds you can reach. Remember that you won't always gain the extra speed as that depends on the other peers.
    cPanel: either this or PLESK if I'm not mistaking. PLESK comes free (for a number of domains) and works just fine
    PLESK: comes free with the package for a number of domains, works just fine
    Other: not necessary either
    Last edited by bruce1984; 10-14-2008 at 02:53 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    mike160's Avatar Old School
    thanks bruce1984

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    silent2k8's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    vps is the wort thing on earth.i am with linux and i am suffering and you want install win 2003 on it lol
    just buy a normal server, if you dont have money dont buy at all
    thanks

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    BlueLabel's Avatar everybody jump BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    hosting-ie VPS are nice for their prices but I recommend you to take dedicated
    thank you S', you're realy good friend and I will never forget it.
    Linux Box by naq , Tracker Rules by Grind$oFine

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Don't select PLESK or cPanle

If you do not think to have web hosting, domains so far on the server

if not then no point to take them, no matter it is free or not they are eating a loot of resources, Plesk comes with

MySQL, Posgre SQL, (If windows plus MS SQL) apache, ISS-if windows, Tomcat (JAVA), Mail server, Ftp server, so far

all that stuff are using RAm and CPU too,

So if you do nto need them do not take PLESK,
    Last edited by TechnoMan80; 10-17-2008 at 11:18 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    mike160's Avatar Old School
    ok thanks

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    4 days for setup

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    webhosting
    Quote Originally Posted by andra View Post
    from 1 day to about 3 weeks

Thats correct ,however it also depends based on the service provider.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by webhosting View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andra View Post
    from 1 day to about 3 weeks

Thats correct ,however it also depends based on the service provider.
    i waited for two weeks

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    did you ? I mean this days ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12