Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cdrw Disc Cleaning

i have an acer 8x4x32x and my cdrw wont read newer cdrw discs ... the one that came w/ my acer is very used up and has alot of scratches... so how would i preserve my disc lol... what would i use to clean it?

i have a lite on 12x-24x rewriteable disc and it doesnt work w/ this 8x4x32x acer drive...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Why doesnt it work, normaly this shouldnt be a problem.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    You can buy special spray that removes scratches from CDs. Also use a cloth, NOT wet, to clean from the centre (the hole) to the edge, DO NOT clean in a circle.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    heh i was going to use alcohol or window spray to clean it... ...

yesterday i was burning up to 400mbs and it kept giving me errors
    then i tried 100k and it got errors

today i was trying again and it worked.. i only tired burning 200mbs tho

im going to try wipping it...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I've read that it's possible to use alchohol to repair the disks but it's best to avoid liquids all-together.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    okay then i guess that might work

why wont a 8x4x32x acer cdrw drive read a liteon cdrwdisc 12x-24x rewrite... oo wait i got it... since itz 12x-24x it cant go lower?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    An 8x CD-R drive can only handle 8x MAX CD-Rs, but it can handle 4x, 2x etc., but it can't handle higher speeds. My advice is to invest in a new CD-RW, yours is obviously old, but they're inexpensive these days, I saw an IDE 52x24x52x for £29 OEM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    well i got one on my newer computer but not on my old one...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    If the older disc is scratched just tranfer the data to a brand new CDRW disc. Just be sure to use a 4X disc on that older drive. You can try to rescue the old scratched CDRW with some car polishing compound or wax but it's not worth it. Just throw it away and use the new one.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    heres a tip for ya..... if you have a disc with read errors or it wont even register because of scratches you can remove/reduce alot of the scratches with a household metal polish such as brasso or duraglit, a scratch on a cd throws off the lazor. you can also use it on music cds that jump. note though it may slow the cd down slightly as it can dull the finish. also hold the disc up to a lightbulb and see if you can see light coming through it anywhere there is a scratch, if you can see light then the scratch has gone to deep and the data on that sector will be gone and no amount of cleaning or scratch removal will bring it back. metal polish has slight "cutting" properties similar to using t-cut on the paintwork of a car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast