Thread: How do i play video on TV without DVD's?

BANNED BT Rep: +1
    here's the situation:

ive got an old laptop so i cant convert video to DVD and burn on a disc(which i used to until my desktop died). i only want to play movies that ive downloaded on to my own TV which isnt digital btw.

ive seen mpeg4 players with hdd's that you connect to the TV and play, but i'll have to convert .xvid to mpeg4 which will take the piss. so how could i watch my .xvid movies onto my TV (without converting or burning anything)?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    db_la_23's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    no u can play it by burning it in data disc.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by db_la_23 View Post
    no u can play it by burning it in data disc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    What model Laptop do you have? You can buy whatever cable to go between the Laptop and the TV and play directly from the laptop kind of a HTPC laptop.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    You could get a network media player.

Most can decode divx and variants natively, but some can also accept a transport stream from your pc or laptop. This means that if a video file can be played on your pc you can see it on your tv.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Yeah but if it were to accept a stream from the PC why not cut out the middleman? Why even bother with the media player when your PC is itself the best media player there is.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Yeah but if it were to accept a stream from the PC why not cut out the middleman? Why even bother with the media player when your PC is itself the best media player there is.
    UPDATE--------

I've found out that i can play divx/xvid movies on my TV using a divx player that has a USB connection at the back. This eliminates the need to convert and/or burn discs, yay!
    Last edited by Jiggles; 10-25-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost