Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Xp Or Linux

leonidas's Avatar Poster
    _ _

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    xp
    it works relatively well with no tinkering required
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    linux mainly due to it is teaching me alot about computers.

and all that free software is not bad either.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    XP...but that&#39;s out of default really. I have NO CLUE how to use Linux and have only used Windows. In fact, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever even been introduced to Linux. It&#39;s like Bigfoot or something- some swear it&#39;s out there, but I&#39;ll have to take their word for it &#39;cause I&#39;ve never actually seen the stupid thing myself.

Plus, if things went awry (which would inevitably occur because I always end up screwing stuff up) and I started to have issues with Linux, I&#39;m afraid there wouldn&#39;t be a wealth of resources (ie: other people who are knowledgable with it) for me, since I&#39;ve only really encountered others who use XP and its cohorts.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I find most linux OS&#39;s both excellent and at the same time, frustratingly ignorant in the complexity of the language and terminology used. If I could find a common english translation for some of it, I&#39;d use it often.
    I think the problem stems from the fact that a large part of it has been developed in non english speaking parts of europe and no thought was given to international equivalents. Despite having a fairly good ability to read some foreign languages, I&#39;m a simple country boy, I don&#39;t have the time or patience to learn language idiosynchrosy whle trying to operate a program.
    Maybe with the addition of some multiple choice wizzards, this might be corrected. As it stands, I always run into a total lack of clear explanation when it&#39;s most needed, like at virtual brick wall for example

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I have Linux installed, but just do not have the time to tinker and even begin to learn what it all is. I do look forward to having the time, and need to actuall boot up into it but for now there is just no point. So mark me down for XP.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    XP.*

* By default. I only got my first computer this past Christmas and it had XP Home on it. XP is the only OS I have any experience with at all. At a Christmas party I met the son of a friend who is a programmer at Scandia National Laboratory and tried to talk to him. His opening comment was " If you use Windows you&#39;re an idiot. Only Linux users know anything about computers."

It was a short conversation.

I&#39;ve run into a similar attitude from various other "powerusers" who mock XP ( or even 2000) as being for the computer illiterate/newbie.

So far XP has worked just fine for my limited ambitions and I really don&#39;t want to get elbow deep in the bloody guts of my OS just to browse the web or fool around.

You don&#39;t have to be able to rebuild your car engine just to drive to work everyday do you?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    XP for general computers, Linux for servers.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    i would have to agree....but first of all you shouldnt make a poll about two COMPLETELY different OS&#39;s..... maybe you could compare XP to win2k....even 98 if u wanna go wild...but its like saying which apple is better when you are trying bananas and oranges....(dum&#33

DWk

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by toddiscool@7 September 2003 - 03:22
    I have Linux installed, but just do not have the time to tinker and even begin to learn what it all is. I do look forward to having the time, and need to actuall boot up into it but for now there is just no point. So mark me down for XP.
    same here, it&#39;s been 6 months since i got two PCs, one with linux and another apple something 4 (i guess the latest). XP for now.

What&#39;s the best linux OS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast