44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abort

24 54.55%
  • Keep

10 22.73%
  • No clue

10 22.73%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If your Foetus is diagnosed with down syndrome do you Abort?

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Ignas is getting his first baby, we had a heavy discussion about this.
    He decided with his wife to not take an abortion. They took a scan last week, the child is fine.

It is possible to diagnose down syndrome at the first eccolog (scan) by looking at the shape of the spine.
    To diagnose other malfunctions one needs to analyse the fluids which can cause miscarriage.

If you know that your future child is diagnosed with down syndrome would you abort it?
    I say yes
    but when the moment comes i have no clue what i would decide.

arguments i have heard for pro abortion

- unable to take care of itself
    - does not develop
    - will not reflect you
    - first 6 years are fine then the difference shows
    - survival of fittest

anti abortion views i have heard
    - depends on the level
    - life is life
    - what is normal?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Depends on the gestational age , if it's <20 weeks abort because the child neurological pain pathways are not developed yet and will feel no pain, >20 weeks you are killing a feeling human , do not abort .
    That's what they taught us in med school.

I voted no clue .
    Last edited by S3v3N; 10-25-2008 at 10:43 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bornwithnoname's Avatar Bit Master BT Rep: +1
    I voted to keep.

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. (Terry Prattchet)

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Are we about to bark around the "when does life begin" tree again.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    To answer your question Kev, it begins when the baby begins forming on yon ladie's belly.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by VillageShaman View Post
    To answer your question Kev, it begins when the baby begins forming on yon ladie's belly.
    Do you mean to say life begins at conception.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    this world is a pain in the butt for even normal people .. i wouldnt want that child to go through all the inevitable mental trauma that the society he will be bought upon will inflict on him/her ... its a sick sick world ....

abort and help him/her

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by anoneemuse View Post
    this world is a pain in the butt for even normal people .. i wouldnt want that child to go through all the inevitable mental trauma that the society he will be bought upon will inflict on him/her ... its a sick sick world ....

abort and help him/her
    Do you have Down Syndrome?

How can you presume to know what it's like?

I have known numerous people so afflicted, and never got the idea from any of them that they would rather be dead.

The very idea that a life ought to be predicated on an uninterested observer's sense of it's worth is mighty offensive.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    It is not fair to anyone to bring a baby to this wolrd that is going to suffer so much. When the parents die what is next for the baby? living in a group home where they treat people like animals, yes I know I have seeing it first hand, I work with people with those conditions and it is not nice, it only create jobs, but people like that fall under the cracks.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pentomato View Post
    It is not fair to anyone to bring a baby to this wolrd that is going to suffer so much. When the parents die what is next for the baby? living in a group home where they treat people like animals, yes I know I have seeing it first hand, I work with people with those conditions and it is not nice, it only create jobs, but people like that fall under the cracks.
    Fair?

By whose standards?

There are many people who live better lives than you or I; to which of them would you extend the authority to end your life because you are a "burden to others"?

It sounds like you've discovered the solution to African poverty.
    Last edited by j2k4; 11-02-2008 at 04:33 PM.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast