Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is "bumping" against the rules

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    If not it should be (other than in the lounge) it's just another form of spam (which is allowed in the lounge).

Basically, if no-one wants to reply to something you posted that should just be fair enough. "Bumping" a thread which no-one is interested in back to the top of the page is just annoying other people.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There used to be an infraction for it.
    BT junkies were in the habit of bumping other peoples' threads, presumably in order to ingratiate themselves.
    Last edited by Chewie; 10-26-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    What about people bumping their own threads. If it's wrong to bump other people's then that must be at least as bad.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Sorry, I meant that there was an infraction for bumping any thread; my second line was purely anecdotal.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Oh right

So as far as you know it's against the rules.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    The rule in the BT section is something like 1 bump every 12 hours or something else. Posts will be merged if made by the same poster, unless a specified amount of time has elapsed. I don't think it's against the rules, as about half the posts in that section read 'bump' .
    Now go away.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Gotcha.

Thanks for that.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    AMnesko's Avatar The Comedian BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    If not it should be (other than in the lounge) it's just another form of spam (which is allowed in the lounge).

Basically, if no-one wants to reply to something you posted that should just be fair enough. "Bumping" a thread which no-one is interested in back to the top of the page is just annoying other people.
    If bumps would not be allowed then you would have like a 5 or 6 threads for the same request.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AMnesko View Post

If bumps would not be allowed then you would have like a 5 or 6 threads for the same request.
    That would be against the rules as well one would have thought.
    Or are you suggesting that people should actually break the rules. Why would you do that, are you a trouble maker. I think you must be.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    AMnesko's Avatar The Comedian BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AMnesko View Post
    That would be against the rules as well one would have thought.
    Or are you suggesting that people should actually break the rules. Why would you do that, are you a trouble maker. I think you must be.
    It breaks my heart to hear you speaking so about my humble person!I suppose that if multiple threads with the same request would be against the rules, then what you say makes sense. But I think bumping a thread after 12 hours is OK because someone might have missed it and once it`s bumped that person gets the chance to read it and perhaps help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast