Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Tips Here...

BUMP

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Nikita,

the tips are great....but why arent you adding them to your pinned topic?

PM a MOD, when your ready to add them there....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    I have been doing so, except this was left as is for quick linking to the tips needed for some new users and incase other members wanna add to it and they have. anyways, feel free to close it, if ud like.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    lazman
    hi,

i looked through your whole kazaa tips/problems section and i still can't find anything related to my problem with the queued files that you responded to a few days back.
    i'm wondering why my files automatically go to "queued", i've already checked my max # of downloads and i've also tried resuming the d/l. my kazaa connection is also connected.
    you seem to know what you're talking about and any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

thanks in advance!

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    I remember, let continue the troubleshoot in the topic u already created. I left u a note there. We're trying to keep the TIPS section w/o question. thx for understanding.

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    HOW TO AVOID FAKE MUSIC FILES? (two examples)
    1. VISUAL

The following are typical characteristics of fake/unwanted music files:
      1. The amount of users with the same copy is extremely big.
      2. The file name or title name contains numbers like (1) or whatever between ().
      3. The length/file size is too big (or too small) compared with normal songs, witht the rest of the files, and/or the lenght you suppose it may have.
      4. The same user is repeatedly sharing copies of the same file (typically with altered names).
      5. The length/file size of supposed copies of the same file differs from user to user.
      6. The bandwidth of the file is extremely big compared to the rest. The download is really fast (if you reach a stable 9-10 Kbps with a 56 K modem, this is highly a fake MP3).
      7. When downloading a file, you notice it is restarted at some point (rare).
    2. PROGRAMS
      1. MP3 Checker - "This program is designed to rapidly scan lots of MP3 for RIAA corruption, the so called "Screechy MP3's" syndrome, it can be very useful for checking large music collections"
      2. MP3 Autoscanner - "This small command line program is designed to work with the KLExtension's file organiser so that as soon as an MP3 is downloaded it is scanned and if bad is sent to a different folder."
    3. CREATE CLEAN FILES
    RELATING POSTS: comming soon...

RESULTS WILL VARY
    No matter how good your systems may be, they're only as effective as what you put into them.

CREDIT/OTHER:Thx to ilw, Gre1, Andrex, cborga1985 and everyone posted <span style='color:green'>HERE
    </span>

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    BUMP

EDIT: some error posting a new tip, changed to BUMP

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    HOW TO DOWNLOAD FASTER? (example 4)
    1. Limit your upload bandwidth to something SUSTAINABLE for your connection. You may have 256 kilobits/sec (32 KILOBYTES/sec) max upload bandwidth -- but things will go very badly if you try to set uploads to that speed.
    2. Try to limit 1 upload max PER every ~32 kilobits/sec (4 KILOBYTES/sec) you give to uploads. So at 24 or 32 kilobits/sec, it&#39;s best to leave uploads to 1.
      1-3 uploads at 64 kilobits/sec (depending on filesize and demand for it.)
      1. ~3-5 at 128 kilobits/sec.
      2. ~5-10 at 256 kilobits/sec.
    3. You can use MORE uploads at once if almost all of your files are small and can still transfer quickly (like within an hour.) But if you&#39;re sharing 500+ MB movies, uploading at <4 KB/sec PER upload spot means you&#39;ll probably NEVER finish an upload of one of them.
    4. Max downloads seems to have at least a minor influence on how many sources PER download. KL++ WILL try at once if more than 1 download is already going. If you don&#39;t expect lots of sources PER download AND the files you&#39;re looking for is very rare, then you can set max downloads as high as the 50 max IF you have at least a 1 megabit connection. You might also gain some improvement by reducing sources per download to 4-10, because KL++ may have to be using memory based on the POTENTIAL of 20+ sources per download.
    5. If you&#39;re downloading few files at a time -- but ones with LOTS of sources, you might be better off setting max downloads at 5 or lower&#33; This might also require setting sources per download to 40 or more if it isn&#39;t already.
      • NOTE: Downloads that are in the connecting OR SEARCHING state count AGAINST your download max&#33;
    6. Block ip port 1214 in KL++ -- it cuts down some on erroneous message traffic and RIAA scanner bots. (even if not a privacy issue, why waste bandwidth?)
    7. Port-forward whatever ip port KL++ uses in your Linksys router to your computer (or whatever router you may have, if you have one).
    8. Use KaNAT -- a Kazaa/KL++ add-on for router users to tell KL++ what your INTERNET ip is... otherwise, your connection is automatically firewalled, which BLOCKS all downloads and uploads from OTHER firewalled connections.
    9. Get TCP/IP Optimizer if you&#39;re on Win 9x/ME -- it&#39;ll still help for Win 2k/XP, but it&#39;s not nearly as useful there. (Just make sure not to let it make more than 5-10 connections PER HTTP server under advanced&#33
    10. Win 9x/ME has a 100 ip connections at once LIMIT -- exceed that and expect disasters, so keep that in mind too with all your settings&#33; Even though Win 2k/XP can go MUCH higher, that doesn&#39;t mean your connection, cpu, ram, or hard drive can keep up without slowing down other programs.
    11. If you&#39;re getting 0.5-1 KB/sec instead of sub 0.1 KB/sec speeds, then it&#39;s quite probably just the speeds OTHERS are sending out at.
      1. There is a common misconception that it&#39;s faster/better to allow more uploads at once and ALSO the belief that if they have a 1,500k cablemodem/ADSL connection that they can download AND upload that fast.
      2. Problem is, from the people you are downloading from, their REAL max upload speed for purposes of KL++ is often only about 13 KB/sec -- so if they are set at 10 max uploads at once, that works out to be only about 1 KB/sec each. The &#39;extra&#39; 3 KB/sec gets lost because the 10 uploads at once &#39;fight it out&#39; over the limited upload bandwidth. Had they set uploads to 20, then the average upload speed would probably be under 0.5 KB/sec.
        • This is NOT because there&#39;s something wrong with their connection, but only that they don&#39;t know what they have and they are overloading it -- creating the problem&#33;
    12. So find out what YOUR connection can do and don&#39;t let uploads exceed that -- because if they do, it&#39;ll slow not just your downloads but your UPLOADS as well&#33;
    13. If you have <15 KB/sec upload for KL++, please don&#39;t set uploads higher than about 6 -- so each one goes at least 2 KB/sec if possible.
    14. If you have a &#39;pool&#39; of 100 sources, then the probability that an available one is FAST (>5 KB/sec) is very low compaired to the probability that you&#39;ll get a 0.5-1 KB/sec source -- there&#39;s just LOTS more slow sources because people which allow 10+ uploads at once &#39;count&#39; as more sources than people which only allow 1 or 2 uploads at once.
    15. To top this off, capping/throttling/crippling/blocking ISPs reduce these speeds even further -- YOUR KL++ MAY NOT BE CRIPPLED BY YOUR ISP, BUT MANY OF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE DOWNLOADING FROM PROBABLY ARE&#33;
    16. ...and if that&#39;s bad enough, Kazaa/KL++ will block off ALL connections to firewalled/router sources if you are firewalled/on a router yourself. It won&#39;t TELL you it&#39;s doing this, it just will&#33; You MAY even be considered firewalled in Kazaa because of your ISP&#39;s doing even if they&#39;re NOT really blocking Kazaa completely (changing ip ports and blocking port 1214 in KL++ can help.) If that&#39;s NOT the case, you need to check and recheck from time to time that you are NOT firewalled for purposes of using KL++. AND if you&#39;re behind a router and want better accessability, you NEED to port-forward AND run KaNAT&#33;
    17. AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT, you still need to minimize jumping of supernodes by KL++. Supernode jumping is an automatic thing that happens about once every hour to 6 hours -- however running extended searches can cause supernode jumping ever 5 minutes, which can cause almost immediate loss of all the firewalled/router sources you&#39;re downloading from&#33;
      1. A sign that it&#39;s about to do so, is if each search attempt only lasts a couple seconds before quitting. So that means don&#39;t do lots of searches at one time and wait a few minutes (5-15) before doing another if it&#39;s about to jump. Even clicking find more sources on lots of your downloads in your downloads window OR running the download accelerator for extended periods at high speed (retry quicker than every 5 minutes) can cause earlier supernode jumping.
      2. On the other hand, supernode jumping is VERY desireable if you have few/no active downloads and AREN&#39;T finding any new sources with your searches.
    RELATING POSTS: comming soon...

RESULTS WILL VARY
    No matter how good your systems may be, they&#39;re only as effective as what you put into them.

CREDIT/OTHER:Switeck for putting it together

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    BANNED
    can you post a tip on how to post a tip please

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@9 October 2003 - 21:01
    can you post a tip on how to post a tip please&nbsp; &nbsp;
    Click HERE

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast