Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing

BANNED
    jeje....i still dont know if using the cable as a crossover cable or just using the switch.... does config change by using a crossover? like for makin the LAN?

DWk

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Your question has already been answered stop spamming :flame:

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    BANNED
    Originally posted by DWk@9 September 2003 - 03:06
    does config change by using a crossover? like for makin the LAN?
    need me to write it again? nm...you READ it again...

DWk

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    lynx's Avatar .
    A cross-over only allows you to connect 2 comps together, but that's all you need if you've only got 2 pc's and no switch. And cross-over is not limited to 10mbps - autosensing cards will automatically run at 100mbps if both ends support it. Cable length does not affect transmission speeds (well only slightly, the propogation runs at the speed of light) as long as you do not exceed the maximum permitted length (100 metres on Cat 5).

But if you've already got a switch, you may as well use it, it doesn't make sense to use anything else. When connecting 2 pc's together, at some point you have to connect the transmit pair of one computer to thr receive pair of the other, and vice-versa. This is the 'cross over''. If you are using a cross-over cable, you do this in the cable, if you are using a switch the cross over is effectively inside the switch so you use straight cables. There are no configuration changes. So as you say, use the switch and you have extra ports for lan parties.

Hope that clears everything up.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    BANNED
    ah thx for that good answer

yea cable is under 50 meters... i still havent put the connectors....but i think ima make em crossover cuz im just gonna give the other computer access to the internet...

my question is...if i use the crossover...will the network "connection" will be automatically detected as if using a switch?

DWk

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    @lynx

This text appears in the user manual for my NIC. It is in the section that says what is required to achieve 100 Mbps.

Connecting for 100-Mbps Fast Ethernet

Category 5 UTP cable is required for Fast Ethernet
    operation. The maximum cable run between the DFE-
    530TX and the supporting hub is 100m. The cable must be
    straight (not a crossover cable), with an RJ-45 plug at each
    end. Make the network connection by plugging one end of
    the cable into the RJ-45 jack of the DFE-530TX, and the
    other end into a port of the supporting hub.
    As you can see, it clearly states that you need a straight cable and not a crossover cable for 100 Mbps operation.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'd better tell my pc's to stop being connected to each other at 100mbps then.

If you read it a bit more carefully, it is telling you the cable spec for a cable running between a DFE-530TX and a hub, which of course must be a straight through cable. If you had a similar document telling you how to connect a DFE-530TX to another DFE-530TX it would tell you exactly the same thing, except it would tell you to use a cross-over cable.

I've been connecting Fast Ethernet devices back to back for years without any problems (we had a 100mbps connection between 2 machines about 3 weeks after the NIC's became available, and 100mbps hubs were 1) very expensive and 2) as hard to get hold of as rocking horse shit.

Fyi, Cat 5 cable is rated at about 250MHz, and is quite capable of being used for Gigahertz ethernet (which doesn't run at 1 GHz) since it uses multiple wires in parallel to achieve the higher bandwidth.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    BANNED
    w0otage...thx for the info....ill try it with crossover...thx for ur info every1...

DWk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123