Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a historic day?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    BTW - tell me why, this time around, the news is not rife with stories of republican vote-stealing, intimidation, and cheating.

Might I suggest that it didn't happen.
    Which is why they didn't win this time. I suppose two in a row would have been pushing their luck.
    I will say this, in response to your response to my response to your response to my response to your thread topic:

Votes have been stolen right and left since time immemorial.

I am confident the left has taken their share over the last several election cycles, and though your view of our left is of a rosy hue, I will remind you that your own words have been immortalized (though perhaps cast away in the great postal debacle) here attesting to Auntie Beeb's infallibility, which virtue, you claimed, was owed to none other than your government's largesse.

Pretty silly, but you've stuck to it, or at least not bothered to depart from your naivete on the point.

Brilliant as you are.

I really mean that last, youngster.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #82
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I have no view of your left whatsoever, none at all. As you are aware I know little of your political landscape and am less than inclined to find out.

I have done a bit of research into the structure of your administration as it interested me. I have also had a read of your Constitution, for the same reason. Juxtaposing your system of Government with our own, they really are very different. However the minutiae of the parties and their policies, nah not really interested. I suspect they are as blurred as our own nowadays. Diminishing political entropy probably.

As to "Auntie Beeb's infallibility, which virtue, you claimed, was owed to none other than your government's largesse.

Pretty silly, but you've stuck to it, or at least not bothered to depart from your naivete on the point."

I am genuinely at a loss as to what you are referring to. True Story.

3. Lounge   -   #83
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post

If you look back at my first response you will see I wrote about the southern states. These sates are only part of a nation comprising of 50. There was segregation in the south, NOT the whole USA.

Really, so everyone had equal rights elsewhere. No underclass other than in the southern states. Really.

How far back do you want to go and has your country never had an underclass? What is the statute of limitations on that?
    Tell me, do you have anti discrimination laws in your country? If you do, why?
    We have anti-discrimination laws, yes. They are there to make discrimination illegal, I think that's self evident.

Have these laws always been in place? when did they become laws and why was there a need to have them in the first place?

We also have laws against murder, rape, theft and a whole raft of other things which we don't want to happen. That's kind of how it works. Again fairly self evident I would have thought.
    America has racists within it just like any other nation, yours included. It also has non race prejudices, but to say that it's a racist nation is just wrong.

Whatever may have been in the past is not what is now.

4. Lounge   -   #84

We have anti-discrimination laws, yes. They are there to make discrimination illegal, I think that's self evident.

Have these laws always been in place? when did they become laws and why was there a need to have them in the first place?

We also have laws against murder, rape, theft and a whole raft of other things which we don't want to happen. That's kind of how it works. Again fairly self evident I would have thought.
    America has racists within it just like any other nation, yours included. It also has non race prejudices, but to say that it's a racist nation is just wrong.

Whatever may have been in the past is not what is now.
    What the fuck are you talking about, when did I say America was a racist Country. It most certainly was in the past, there's no denying it.

However did you read what I said, that it was much better now and that was surely evidenced by a black man being elected POTUS. I even said later that never thought I would see it in my lifetime.

I started the thread contemplating just how far on the USA had come in such a relatively short time. The thread was a celebration of it's growth as a nation and acceptance of all it's citizens. Not there yet but going in the right direction.
    Last edited by JPaul; 11-06-2008 at 10:00 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #85
    惡魔的提倡者
    I made a post

I'm not suggesting that there is no racism in the US. You only have to listen to talk radio to see that. I'm not suggesting that it was a myth yesteryear in some states or that some clinging to that time aren't still walking.

I'm talking about the entire USA, Which if you take as a whole and not attribute the lowest fringe as the whole is no more racist than most of the rest of the world.
    and you replied
    You're having an even bigger laugh now.

What was the civil rights movement in the USA about then, if racism wasn't endemic.
    If my interpretation of this is not what you meant then your last has clarified and no harm.

6. Lounge   -   #86
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have no view of your left whatsoever, none at all. As you are aware I know little of your political landscape and am less than inclined to find out.

I have done a bit of research into the structure of your administration as it interested me. I have also had a read of your Constitution, for the same reason. Juxtaposing your system of Government with our own, they really are very different. However the minutiae of the parties and their policies, nah not really interested. I suspect they are as blurred as our own nowadays. Diminishing political entropy probably.

As to "Auntie Beeb's infallibility, which virtue, you claimed, was owed to none other than your government's largesse.

Pretty silly, but you've stuck to it, or at least not bothered to depart from your naivete on the point."

It happened, trust me.

As I said, possibly gone in the post-flap.

The subject was an investigation of Tony's intent vis a vis some comment or whatall about the Beeb.

You were a voice in the chorus singing, "Auntie Beeb, she's a peach and would never, ever lie about anything at all, especially government influence, because she owes 'er boots to the government, you see.

Didn't make sense; still doesn't.

Anyhoo.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #87
    I made a post

and you replied
    You're having an even bigger laugh now.

What was the civil rights movement in the USA about then, if racism wasn't endemic.
    If my interpretation of this is not what you meant then your last has clarified and no harm.
    Do you understand that the word "was" refers to the past. That's how we indicate whether we are talking about the past, present or future. By using "was", "is" or "will be", it's kind of a convention we have.

8. Lounge   -   #88
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

It happened, trust me.

As I said, possibly gone in the post-flap.

The subject was an investigation of Tony's intent vis a vis some comment or whatall about the Beeb.

You were a voice in the chorus singing, "Auntie Beeb, she's a peach and would never, ever lie about anything at all, especially government influence, because she owes 'er boots to the government, you see.

Didn't make sense; still doesn't.

Anyhoo.
    That sounds like a conversation in The Drawing Room, I don't remember it but it's unlikely to have happened anywhere else.

You do know I just made stuff up in there. You did know that, yes.

9. Lounge   -   #89
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Me of course silly!

10. Lounge   -   #90
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..a random test in synchronicity.. I wonder what Osama Bin Laden's answer to this election result will be... now back to the "other thread"

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast