Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aol And Km"f***ing"d Problem

So i have a friend (in france) that has (DO NOT ASK ME HOW)

never heard of using a

1. Firewall
    2. Anti Virus
    3. Spyware Detector

So i take over his system

install A/V (run scan - No Problems)
    install Adaware (448 issues )

Stop right there i thought, so i cleaned them off (as you do)

we give up for night, then the next day he calls me

he could not connect with aol broadband, so he called them and they TOLD him that he had removed some items that aol needs and the easy way to sort it was to use syst restore (winXP family version - remember he is in france)

anyway what files were removed ??????? spyware????????

they would not tell him !!!!

Then his roomate decides that it is K++ (i installed instead of DietKazaa) that caused the problems (Why do idiots do these things) and told me that he removed K++ because and get ready for this:

"it's inbuilt firewall was stopping me getting into m.s.n messenger "

then "i also removed Adaware cause AOL said it takes out important AOL files"

and in amongst all this was the fact that , that glorious piece of crap KMD had been reinstalled by the idiot when he rolled back the system.

it is a good job they are in paris and i am london thats all i thought at the time.

and b4 anyone blames the french, they are not french( 1 scottish, 1 Belgian)

So i need to know if anyone has a list of installed KMD files for removal ??????????/

also what aol files are needed to be left on there when scanned with adaware (AOL 8.0)

any ideas very welcome

Nexus U.K

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    lol. Sorry, thats a fn mess. If your friend doesn't want to learn about maintaining a spyware free computer & AV & PF. Just leave them to their mess. Tough love.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I am on AOL and have used Ad-Aware and have not had a similar problem.

In fact I've used several different spy removal programs (SpyBot, WinClean Ultra, Ad-Aware and a few I can't even remember) and never had AOL go down as a result.

AOL software screws up all by itself... sounds to me like they are just shuffling off the problem.

Why not just uninstall/reinstall AOL?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Tell me about it ,
    i GAVE one of them an old system , perfectly set up etc...

amazing thing was they had it running for 4 weeks then decided they knew more than me and started taking it apart to fix a floppy drive (why????)

somehow the primary hardrive went down, the soundcard fried and they expected me to be able to sort it out via a webcam.

i thought new machine with xp would stop some of this shit, but what did i know.....

but even saying that i would still like to know what aol and kazaa installs just for ref on paying customers machines......

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    just don't bother helping them in the futre...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    without being too sarcastic,

for the second time

yes they are idiots,
    no i wont be helping them again

but i still would like to know 2 things

what files does KMD install ????????????

what files does aol need that adaware treats as spyware?????????????

i can provide email adresses so you can call them idiots personally but i still need the answers

also does this mean that members here just talk about how clean klite is compared to kmd without actually having a clue why?

i find that very hard to believe but no answers so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Nexus UK
    Posted: 8 September 2003 - 14:42
    .... just for ref on paying customers machines......
    I'm stating the obvious. When a computer is that f'd up combined with idiot users. You're never going to find the true root of the problem. Spyware, trojans, viruii & etc. have so corrupted the OS. Plus all the little things the user didn't tell you about. Adaware is very good but as far deleting spyware & leaving the host program operable, Spybot Search & Destroy is much better. AAW6 will disable spyware causing the host program not to function.
    In conclusion the problems cannot be blamed on KMD & AOL. User error all the way.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ungrateful batards

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Nexus UK@8 September 2003 - 13:00

At the risk of being sarcastic...

None.

None.

Whatever got into their system ( besides them), it had nothing to do with K-Lite OR AOL.
    If they are as egregiously misinformed as you describe, why do you believe anything that they say?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+9 September 2003 - 00:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 9 September 2003 - 00:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nexus UK @ 8 September 2003 - 13:00

At the risk of being sarcastic...

None.

None.

Whatever got into their system ( besides them), it had nothing to do with K-Lite OR AOL.
    If they are as egregiously misinformed as you describe, why do you believe anything that they say?[/b][/quote]

KMD = Kazaa Media Desktop not K-Lite.

and:-

EDIT egre__ what

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast