Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Monitors- Lcd Vs Crt

Poster
    I was thinking about buying a new LCD 17 inch montior off newegg.com. But people have been telling me that there colors suck for gaming and to stick with a CRT. Most people gaming machines i have looked at use CRTs too. What do you think?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    LCDs are crap for gaming... you get screen fragmentation and lagging.

CRTs still kick the ass off LCDs and TFTs in terms of performance, versatility and price.

The only reason for getting a flat screen is if you are stuck for space.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I think it's just a matter of taste... i really like the "brightness" of the lcd's. If you know someone that has one check it out before you buy, or may stores have them hooked up so you can check them out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    One the reason i like the lcd is that its full screen instead of 19" inch 18 viewable. When it comes to CRTs, viewsonic has something called ultrabrite(increases brightness 3 times)-anyone have a montior like that?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    CRT

Advantages:
    Cheap
    Bright
    Clear

Disadvantages:
    Big
    Kills your eyes

LCD

Advantages:
    Thin
    Won't kill your eyes

Disadvantages:
    Pricey
    If you look at something at an angle it looks messed up
    darkish
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    An LCD screen is just not fast enough for good gaming. The pixels on the screen glow and take a little while to fade to black. That delay is too slow when gaming requires quick response and reaction time. CRT are fast and cheap but big.

@theprisoner, If you want to compare 19" vs 18" viewable then you need take the price into consideration. You can get a 21" CRT for the price of a 19" LCD.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'm curious...Why would gaming be harder for a monitor to handle than a movie?

I just watched part of LOTR on a 19" Dell LCD and it was great.

Edit:
    Keikan,
    You neglected to mention heat.
    CRT= hot
    LCD=cool
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I have a 21 inch FD Trinitron monitor that I purchased for less than $500 including shipping from Dell.

You see, when buying a component for my computer system, I think of it as an investment that will have to convince me of its worth over time. CRT's have been around for a long time now and deserve credit where it is due. Let us take a look at the FD Trinitron monitor. It holds the sharpest image quality, no pixel lagging...hell, at refresh rates of 100 Hz, I cannot complain.

Edit: I must admit that the Dell "Ultrasharp" model is an excellent choice, if you have a grand to blow on a 20 incher, but if it is not Ultrasharp,

shine it...it would be a good idea to find out who makes these so you don't have to pay the Dell price for it...and if you are a gamer and you have the choice, you should seriously not buy an LCD monitor and save your dough for a Radeon 9800 Pro.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    i got the radeon 9700 pro and im pretty happy with it. But the montior i have now is a 6 year old trintion and is having issues going to higher resolutions(the screen shrinks). Im trying to chose between these two-E90f+SB Viewsonic G90FB Viewsonic.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    hmm.. i wanna get get the largest screen i can get for under 400 dollars.. preferably flat screen. any suggestions?
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast