Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with building my own PC?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    This will be my first time building my own PC, so I'm looking for some suggestions on what I should get. Here's some info on what I'm gonna be using it for: I'm gonna be doing alot of video editing, and multitasking, so I assume I'll need a good amount of RAM and a nice processor. I'll be burning alot of disks too. I won't be doing ANY gaming at all, so the graphics card doesn't have to be top of the line, but it would be nice if it's HD and has an HDMI input on it.

I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, so can you recommend me some components? I'm on a $1000 budget, and don't need a monitor, so please strictly suggest computer parts.

Thanks alot!
    Last edited by Nickthestick91; 11-15-2008 at 12:33 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    If you can wait you should REALLY REALLY wait until Jan-Feb when the new Nelham CPU's come out they are 20%faster and use less voltage so they run cooler. In case you can't wait I'll put together a recommendation in a bit Do you have a case picked out?

Maybe something like:

Cart Item List:
    Qty.Product DescriptionSavingsTotal Price1
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Item #:N82E16820231166
    Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
    -$5.00 Instant
    $74.99
    $69.991
    CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply
    Item #:N82E16817139002
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    -$40.00 Instant
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $189.99
    $149.991
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
    Item #:N82E16811129021
    Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
    -$30.00 Instant
    $139.99
    $109.991
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Item #:N82E16822136284

$139.991
    ASUS P5N7A-VM Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #:N82E16813131348
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$119.991
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
    Item #:N82E16827151171

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
    Item #: N82E16819115131
    Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$269.99

Grand Total:$884.93

Now you can play around with the Mobo and Case for price and aesthetics. I do recommend that you get some decent on board Video with HDMI to simplify things a bit. Are you planning to overclock this rig at all?
    Last edited by Detale; 11-15-2008 at 04:19 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd look for a good , psu and case first . Those you'll keep everything else you swap out . Lots of good deals out there too , do you really want to do it yourself ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    LOL software farmer

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    LOL software farmer
    Whats so funny ? Id like to think I'm talking from experience, a case or psu I never change , a mobo, vid card , or cpu sure .

I think its just cheaper to buy a good system from a white box store than fucking around building yourself . Jmho tho .

My case is an Antec 900 and one of the best purchases I did . My mistake its hidden in my desk .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ^^^^ Thanks alot for those recommendations! Unfortunately I can't wait until Jan/Feb. I don't have a case, or anything else for that matter . I've never messed around with overclocking, but if there's a real benefit to it, I'll definitely try it out.

And to peat moss, I do wanna do it myself, as I've heard that I can get a better system for cheaper than if I were to get a system from, say, Dell, and with my limited budget, I'm tryin to get the most bang for my buck . I've also always wanted to build my own computer, and while I have the money, I figure now's the best time to do it.

I'll look around for some different mobos, cases, and PSUs. In the meantime, keep the suggestions comin!
    Last edited by Nickthestick91; 11-15-2008 at 04:09 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    LOL software farmer
    Whats so funny ? Id like to think I'm talking from experience, a case or psu I never change , a mobo, vid card , or cpu sure .

I think its just cheaper to buy a good system from a white box store than fucking around building yourself . Jmho tho .

My case is an Antec 900 and one of the best purchases I did . My mistake its hidden in my desk .

Dude I wasn't making a crack at you. I just saw under your avatar "software farmer" and thought it was funny man.Thats all

I completely agree about the Case and PSU but I do disagree about building your own, its fun, not to mention saves some $$ too. You not only learn about all the parts and where they go but there's a sense of pride(I feel) when you finish. Now that I think about it it's kind of like.....
    Dr Frankenstein Great case the 900 I own one too

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I certainty could 'nt argue with Details hardware recommendations , but call BullShit on " I won't be doing ANY gaming at all, so the graphics card doesn't have to be top of the line"

How can you test said system with out playing a great game ? I'm not a gamer but great way to stress your setup . What ever you do give some thought on what O/S you would like to run on it . Vista , Linux, XP ? 32bit or 64 ?

Its all fun tho and would recommend at least a mid range video card as you'll be disappointed if you don't .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I guess you're right about testing it out with a game; I've never thought about that. For the OS, I'd like to be running XP 64bit.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I agree a great way to test a rig is play a game but there are many many other ways to test it out. OCCT is one of my favorite, Clocker recommended, tests. Also 3d mark has a barrage of game inspired tests to use without getting the actual game. Even Winrar has a benchmark test with it.

Also if you're running 64 you could also get another 4gigs of ram if you wanted to
    Last edited by Detale; 11-15-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast