Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoi Jay Pish

The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I'll agree with you that Catherine Zeta-Jones is a very mediocre actress, and her displays as a supposedly "cougarish-like" enticing babe leave much to be desired, and that thus, conversely, her representation in Traffic is, as was to be expected, very poor.

I will also agree that Michael Douglas is not all that.

Finally, I will agree that the remainder of the cast (the Swimfan girl, who plays the junkie daughter, making use of perhaps one single facial expression throughout the entire fillum, as well as her multiple drug-ingesting classmates, and so on), with very few exceptions, is watchable at best.

However, you cannot intend to suggest that Benicio Del Toro's performance is nothing shy of pure genious in that picture.

To be frank, Benicio's performances tend to impress me wherever he is. Be it Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Snatch, Sin City, or 21 Grams. In any of those movies he leaves me flabbergasted, to say the least.

Nevertheless, it is not solely Benicio's astounding performance (which I believe earned him an oscar?) in Traffic, that makes the movie worthwhile. A few other elements (Don Cheadle, his partner, Dennis Quaid (very impressive display from him in this movie), even the drug dealer who's to be a witness in Zeta-Jones' trial plays a solid role, the corrupted Tijuana general - Salazar, the homosexual hitman Francisco, Manolo (Del Toro's closest friend), Manolo's girlfriend, the American general Douglas conferences with throughout, and one or two more) also add to a movie that, whilst it may have one or two moments that bore the eager eye (a tad slowish), is overall very well elaborated.

Yes?
    Last edited by The Flying Cow; 11-16-2008 at 10:17 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Can you link to jp's remark.I'd like to read it.

Otherwise I won't comment since you weren't asking me.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by VillageShaman View Post
    I'll agree with you that Catherine Zeta-Jones is a very mediocre actress, and to be frank her displays as a supposedly "cougarish-like" enticing babe leave much to be desired, and that thus, conversely, her representation in Traffic is, as was to be expected, very poor.

I will also agree that Michael Douglas is not all that.

Finally, I will agree that the remainder of the cast (the Swimfan girl, who plays the junkie daughter, making use of perhaps one single facial expression throughout the entire fillum, as well as her multiple drug-ingesting classmates, and so on), with very few exceptions, is watchable at best.

However, you cannot intend to suggest that Benicio Del Toro's performance is nothing shy of pure genious in that picture.

To be frank, Benicio's performances tend to impress me wherever he is. Be it Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Snatch, Sin City, or 21 Grams. In any of those movies he leaves me flabbergasted, to say the least.

Nevertheless, it is not solely Benicio's astounding performance (which I believe earned him an oscar?) in Traffic, that makes the movie worthwhile. A few other elements (Don Cheadle, his partner, Dennis Quaid (very impressive display from him in this movie), even the drug dealer who's to be a witness in Zeta-Jones' trial plays a solid role, the corrupted Tijuana general - Salazar, the homosexual hitman Francisco, Manolo (Del Toro's closest friend), Manolo's girlfriend, the American general Douglas conferences with throughout, and one or two more) also add to a movie that, whilst it may have one or two moments that bore the eager eye (a tad slowish), is overall very well elaborated.

Yes?
    What the fuck are you talking about.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I assumed he was talking about the movie Traffic but admit I'm terrible with subtext.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I assumed he was talking about the movie Traffic but admit I'm terrible with subtext.
    I've not seen that particular movie, so there's every chance you are correct.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I suppose he's not the village idiot for nothing, like

7. Lounge   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Apparently, in ShamanWorld you two are having a spirited discussion regarding the merits of this film.
    It doesn't bode well that you haven't seen it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    This should be moved to movieworld, there might be someone there that gives a fuck.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Apparently, in ShamanWorld you two are having a spirited discussion regarding the merits of this film.
    It doesn't bode well that you haven't seen it.
    Whilst not having seen said movie doesn't actually preclude me from discussing it I'm sure most people can see how it would put me at a slight disadvantage.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by callum View Post
    This should be moved to movieworld, there might be someone there that gives a fuck.
    Hardly likely one would have thought.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast