Thread: Wireless booster question

I have a toshiba satellite laptop with built in wireless card. At home I have a netgear router but at work there is a resturant that has free wireless internet about 100 feet from my office. I know there is a way to add antenna's to routers to boost their signal but I was wondering if there was a way to add anything to my laptop that would boost how far away I am able to get signal from. I would like to be able to pick up the signal from the resturant even if it is low strength it is better than nothing. Thanks for all your help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    100' should be no problem at all even for wireless B and chances are their router is not that old. They may have their network private for customers only via password, you may have to buy something there and ask them. Also it may be you don't have your settings done correctly. When you search for wireless networks what does it say?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    When I search for it in the office it's not available. I have to go outside to get it and I am hoping to be able to get it from my desk. Maybe it's closer to 200ft not quite sure.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mansour's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I think there is an external wireless card with a power amplifier.
    its name is alpha.