Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: September 11

What do you remember about that terrible day? Where were you when you heard the news? What were you doing? Please do not use this thread for arguing and flamming. Be respectful.

When I heard the news, I was in the car with my boss. We were just pulling into the parking lot of a customer, about 50 miles north of Manhatten. It was just before 10:00 am. We had met up on Connecticut earlier that morning and spent the ride discussing out meeting, business in general, sports, etc. The usual banter between salesmean. The radio was on in the background, tuned to a sports talk station but it was so quiet we couldn't hear it over the engine and road noise.

As we pulled into a parking space and my boss put the car in park I heard a brief snippet of a news report. "...there has been an explosion at the Pentagon." I didn't think I had heard it correctly so I asked my boss to leave the car running for a minute. We sat there in a state of utter shock as we heard about the events of the morning. My first thoughts were of my parents. One works in mid town Manhatten and the other works in New Jersey, just outside the Lincoln Tunnel, off Route 3. As it turns out, they were both in Manhatten that morning but were safe and sound (my sisters and I didn't find that out until late in the afternoon).

We ended up going in for our meeting which, needless to say, was not productive at all. Our customer had a tv card in his computer so we sat and watched the news coverage for about 30 minutes then decided to head home. While driving back I remember feeling disoriented and insisting to my boss that we were going the wrong way (which were not).

What I remember most about the rest of the day, and the few days afterward, is the weather. It was beautiful, blue skies and warm. I am not sure why that sticks out in my memory so clearly, but it does.

I also remember staring at the sky and not seeing any planes. It was a most disconcerting feeling, as I live very close to an Air Reserve base and an international airport. The other feeling that sticks out in my mind was dread. I just keep thinking that it wasn't over and the other shoe was about to fall, so to speak.

I was fortunate not to have lost any friends or loved ones to that horrible tragedy. There were some tense hours as I tried to get in touch with my folks and some friends that live and work in NYC. As we approach the anniversy of the attacks I hope you will join me in taking some time to reflect and maybe tell someone close to you that you love them.

I aplogize for rambling on but this has just been on my mind. Peace.

NG

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I'll be truthful - I was at high school that day. My mother called me on my phone and told me about it. Apparantly my brother (elder by 10 years and in his own home nearby) phoned her and told her and she passed it on to me. As much as my brother hardly ever lies, I thought it was a prank that got huge (kinda like the recent flashmobbing). It was only when I saw the live news on CNN 10 minutes later that I believed it.

I got the news right after the first tower hit, and I thought that was it and I'd watch to see what the scene was there - Then the second hit. Totally unexpected.

To respect the others reading this and those who were there at the time (plus to minimise this becoming a flame war), I won't say what my opinion was. What I will say is that while I wasn't like those in Palestine who were cheering in the streets on the news, it wasn't a feeling of that the US didn't deserve it at all.
    That was my opinion of it though - Please, no-one start lynching indiscriminantly because of what I said - I'm not one to lie to god knows how many.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Double Agent
    amen

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@8 September 2003 - 19:37
    dude it's been 2 years give it a rest already
    Well the second anniversary of the WTC incident is three days away - It's likely gonna be hard to keep away from it, the way media is nowadays.

I think dingo was talking about the incident because of that - Would you tolerate it more when it was talked about near to any 9/11 or an unrelated day on the other side of the year?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@8 September 2003 - 19:03
    I'll be truthful - I was at high school that day. My mother called me on my phone and told me about it. Apparantly my brother (elder by 10 years and in his own home nearby) phoned her and told her and she passed it on to me. As much as my brother hardly ever lies, I thought it was a prank that got huge (kinda like the recent flashmobbing). It was only when I saw the live news on CNN 10 minutes later that I believed it.

I got the news right after the first tower hit, and I thought that was it and I'd watch to see what the scene was there - Then the second hit. Totally unexpected.

To respect the others reading this and those who were there at the time (plus to minimise this becoming a flame war), I won't say what my opinion was. What I will say is that while I wasn't like those in Palestine who were cheering in the streets on the news, it wasn't a feeling of that the US didn't deserve it at all.
    That was my opinion of it though - Please, no-one start lynching indiscriminantly because of what I said - I'm not one to lie to god knows how many.
    It wasn't the US who died, it was thousands of people who were murdered whilst just going about their normal lives. Some of them in particularly horrific ways.

There's no need for me to go into that, we have all seen the pictures.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    dude it's been 2 years give it a rest already
    Iam not flaming but how can u say that...

The attack on the world trade center, in my eyes is the worst thing that has ever happend on US soil...

And i will never forget that, so plz don't say things like give it a rest...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by MetroStars@8 September 2003 - 21:21
    The attack on the world trade center, in my eyes is the worst thing that has ever happend on US soil...
    Pearl Harbour?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    i wasn't around then, granted it was bad, but i wos not around, but the Twin Tower attacks was horrid the sadness and the grief around was sumthing i have never felt...

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    The difference being, Pearl Harbour was a 'legitimate' military target and the Twin Towers a civilian target...

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@8 September 2003 - 21:32
    The difference being, Pearl Harbour was a 'legitimate' military target and the Twin Towers a civilian target...
    I was just going to say that. The twin towers had no military significance at all.

It was purely a terrorist target.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast