Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad And Shocking Gta News

NEW YORK (Sept. 6) - The family of a slain motorist has filed suit against the maker of a video game that two teens claim inspired them to shoot at passing cars on a Tennessee highway.

Grand Theft Auto, a video game that allows players to "fire" on people and cars in realistic, shoot-'em-up fashion, is a cash cow that propelled manufacturer TAKE2interactive to the top of the video game industry. For the middle and high school students who play the game for hours on end, it's a means of escaping the monotony of teenage life.

But for two stepbrothers, 16-year-old William and 14-year-old Joshua Buckner, that escape turned deadly this summer. They told police they were emulating Grand Theft Auto on the night of June 25 when they took shotguns to Interstate 40, near their Newport, Tenn., home, and opened fire on vehicles.

A Bullet Through the Window

The boys told police they did not mean to hit people, but the results were catastrophic.

"I have eight bullet fragments all in my body," said 19-year-old Kimberly Bede, of Moneta, Va., who was hit in the pelvis as she rode in the passenger seat of her boyfriend's car. "The bullet entered my hip and I'm still receiving medical treatment."

Aaron Hamel, a 45-year-old registered nurse from Knoxville, Tenn., traveling in a separate car, was killed.

"We had a beautiful day in the mountains, and we were heading back home to Knoxville," said Hamel's cousin, Denise Deneau on ABCNEWS' Good Morning America Friday.

"We were talking, laughing, listening to music and all of a sudden my cousin told me to look at the beautiful flowers. And as I did that, my glass shattered and I felt heat across my face," she said.

When Deneuau saw the glass and blood she thought she had been shot, but when she realized the car was out of control, she looked at Hamel. "He had a large bullet hole at the side of his head," Deneuau said.

After the car made it across the highway, passing oncoming traffic, it stopped at the guard rail.

Deneuau said she knew her cousin would die quickly from the nature of the injury. "I reassured him that I was OK and that I would take care of his pets and I told him that I loved him," she said.

Family members say the nature of Hamel's death is especially ironic because he had volunteered to work at a Tennessee facility for wayward teens shortly before the shooting.

Teens Plead Guilty, Lawsuit Filed

The teenage shooters, who each pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment, will be held at a state juvenile detention center until they turn 19. The law in Tennessee allows them to remain in the custody of the state Department of Children's Services until they are 19, but no longer.

In written statements, the boys expressed remorse for their actions.

"I will always hate myself for what I did. I am so sorry," wrote William Buckner.

"I didn't want to hurt anyone," wrote Joshua Buckner. "This will be with me the rest of my life."

The Hamel family hired attorney Jack Thompson and filed suit Thursday against TAKE2interactive, the video game maker. Thompson says it's time to send a message to the video game makers.

"We want to send a message with a huge verdict to Sony and TAKE2interactive and the entire video game industry that if they're going to continue to market adult-rated games to children with these horrific consequence, then we're going to take their blood money from them and send a message to their boards that they have to stop this practice or there will be other suits on behalf of other people, killed by these games," Thompson said.

TAKE2interactive declined to comment to Good Morning America about the incident.

Are Parents the Gatekeepers?

It's not the first time the game Grand Theft Auto has been linked to bouts of real-life violence.

A gang of teenagers in California, charged with plotting carjackings and murder, say their actions were inspired by playing Grand Theft Auto, morning, noon, and night.

In Oakland, Calif., a group of young people who called themselves the "Nut Cases" told police they played violent video games before going out and robbing and killing random victims on the street. They said their favorite was Grand Theft Auto. The five men and one woman are facing charges in dozens of robberies and five killings that took place in 2002 and early 2003.

The Entertainment Software Association, which represents the video game industry, pointed to research showing that youth crime has gone down even as video games have proliferated. The games are rated for violence, and ultimately, parents make the decisions about what games they bring into their homes, the association said in a statement.

"Parents are present at and involved in the purchase or rental of games 83 percent of the time, according to a September 2000 Federal Trade Commission report," the association said.

Family members of those killed in video game-related shooting sprees say it is time to take Grand Theft Auto off the market, before more lives are lost.

Bede, who says she will never fully recover from the incident that left bullet fragments in her body, isn't satisfied with the sentence the Buckner boys received. "I really don't think they got what they deserve," she said.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    This is such shit and such an old argument

I have said for years that if someone is normal a game/film wont make them go out and kill people, that person (child or not) has to be seriously disturbed to do it and they would have done it sooner or later anyway, it's just the game gave them the idea of how to do it!
    They were born to do it and nothing would have made them or stopped them from doing it at some point.

I remember a few years ago in America a 22 y/o shot his entire family including his young sister, he had army face paint and no shirt , with a head band on.
    When the negotiator asked him his name he replied "Rambo".See, not right in the head and not copying Rambo cos he never killed inocent people in the films, so it proves that he was nuts and just wanted an excuse

Total shit

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Double Agent
    i didn't even read the shit

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Those 2 sound like little sh*ts

5. Lounge   -   #5
    No they didn't get what they deserved! I can't believe that people would think that the game is to blame. What we have here is a couple of sad, pathetic wankers that decided to go out and kill people!!!
    "I will always hate myself for what I did. I am so sorry," wrote William Buckner.

"I didn't want to hurt anyone," wrote Joshua Buckner. "This will be with me the rest of my life."
    Bollocks! If you shoot at a car with a gun what do you think is going to happen! I really pisses me off when people blame games/films/TV for what they have done, when in truth it's just an excuse for looneys and tossers to get off lightly. Just be thankful you only got jail. If I got hold of you I'd make you two swallow your gun from the ass upwards.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Sorry for the swearing people. It's just sometime I could kill....

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Also you must be 18 or older to purchase that game and they were younger than 18 also, some one that is 18 or older must be present while purchaseing the game. I believe that its an easy get rich sceam, always pointing the finger at someone else for you crimes. All this kindergarden crud. I played GTA and Im not going out killing people, freaking bull.

-Mike

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by wolfman10_2000@8 September 2003 - 22:02
    Also you must be 18 or older to purchase that game and they were younger than 18 also, some one that is 18 or older must be present while purchaseing the game. I believe that its an easy get rich sceam, always pointing the finger at someone else for you crimes. All this kindergarden crud. I played GTA and Im not going out killing people, freaking bull.

-Mike
    A valid point.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    The parents are just afraid to admit that they failed to teach their children the difference between right and wrong. Millions of people have played this game without going out and killing, so obviously these kids were lacking in judgement and guidance.

People who try to blame the actions of one disturbed individual on a game or movie really annoy me. Censorship is not the answer. They need to get to the root of the problem and figure out exactly what went wrong inside their head.

These are the same kinds of extremists who believe that banning Microsoft Filght Simulator would have prevented 9/11.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Nightwolf Posted on 8 September 2003 - 23:17
    The parents are just afraid to admit that they failed to teach their children the difference between right and wrong. Millions of people have played this game without going out and killing, so obviously these kids were lacking in judgement and guidance.

People who try to blame the actions of one disturbed individual on a game or movie really annoy me. Censorship is not the answer. They need to get to the root of the problem and figure out exactly what went wrong inside their head.

These are the same kinds of extremists who believe that banning Microsoft Filght Simulator would have prevented 9/11. 
    I like that point, very true. If they took down Flight Sim Ill kill the people that took it down then Ill say that GTA inspired me so I would be able get alot of money and have a huge cashflow once I get out of prision

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast