Thread: Advice For Getting More Space For Movie Files, Etc

About a couple of months ago, I upgraded my hard drive to a larger capacity, but
    still noticed movie files taking up a tremendous amount of space.. also I'm one
    that likes to share being that since it takes so long to download movies, I feel
    that I like to contribute the files I download so others can upload from me offering
    more resources. For example, it took me 4 days to download "Interview With A Vampire", hopefully I help in making the download for others faster. But like
    I mentioned, it still took up a lot of space.

I was able to find an External hard drive from "Maxtor". It's called the "Maxtor
    Personal Storage 5000" and since it is an external hard drive, it is pretty simple
    to install if you have a 2.0 hub. I now use this drive to store my downloads from here and other files that I don't want on my main hard drive. It has a 90 GB
    capacity, which is great for just holding these tremendous movie downloads, etc and
    I still can be courteous to other users of this site by keeping a few more movies
    in my shared folder. It's not a hard drive for OS, more for personal storage and
    it's Great for files downloaded here. You can find one for about $150.00 which
    is pretty cheap considering the advantages of this instead of crowding your master hard drive or backing up files onto cd's or floppies.
    "A tip from Scoobydoooo"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    how is that a tip? i already know that more space mean more movies. u r just telling everyone to buy a larger hdd.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    why not just even get a second internal hdd, less likely to break etc. and cheaper than usb ones

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I recommend internal HDDs in a removable mobile rack with front and bottom fans. This will keep your 7200 RPM HDD cool and you can swap them in and out.

Also nice if the RIAA or MPAA comes knocking at your door. All you do is pull it out and hide it somewhere or destroy the evidence. Better than some cheap Maxtor drive in an unvented plastic enclosure! Eh, did I mention its way cheaper too? The removable racks are only $40, which is way better than the extra price for a HDD with external enclosure.

I have 2 of those removable racks each with a with Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 (7200 RPM, 250 GB). Eh, that means I have 500 GB (1/2 Terrabyte) of availible storage space.

"A tip from somebody who knows better"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i used to have those on my old old computer, like in 1997. it worked great, but sometimes they get screwy. u have to install all the drivers and stuff on both harddrives or they won't work on the same comp

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@12 September 2003 - 19:16
    i used to have those on my old old computer, like in 1997. it worked great, but sometimes they get screwy. u have to install all the drivers and stuff on both harddrives or they won't work on the same comp
    That's just plain wrong. You don't have to install any kind of drives or do any kind of adjusting under Windows or any other OS. Maybe something was wrong with your PC or OS at that time but these removable racks can't get "screwy" since they only provide enclusure and power for the hard drive. Read the manufacturer's site!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000+14 September 2003 - 17:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MadDog-2000 @ 14 September 2003 - 17:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@12 September 2003 - 19:16
    i used to have those on my old old computer, like in 1997. it worked great, but sometimes they get screwy. u have to install all the drivers and stuff on both harddrives or they won&#39;t work on the same comp
    That&#39;s just plain wrong. You don&#39;t have to install any kind of drives or do any kind of adjusting under Windows or any other OS. Maybe something was wrong with your PC or OS at that time but these removable racks can&#39;t get "screwy" since they only provide enclusure and power for the hard drive. Read the manufacturer&#39;s site&#33; [/b][/quote]
    He probably didnt partition and had his os on the drive he uninstalled..
    signature removed, check the boardrules.