Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Delicate Is An External Hardrive

Nope.

I think I am gonna go with a say 20 GB drive, I think i have an eight somewhere around here that would do. As there is a good chance it will get wrecked I am not gonna spen too much on it. 20GB should be more than i should need. Thaks to the link on the enclosure Lennon, definetly what I am gonna be looking for.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    when I get my laptop set up, Im hoping to have an 80 gig external shared drive, so I can swap it between my desktop and pc, and still transport my crap around, so i can share from all over the world, as i am usually on the move, alot of this advice has been very useful to me as well, thanks guys

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Well, if u wanna get say a 20 GB one, just use price grabber or something, query by like 20-39 and minium price 1 dollars.

U can get some real deals sometimes.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    One more question about external technology, I know that on Xp she will fine fro drivers. It will install them for her, and may or may not need to reboot. (probably not i think)

What about the MAC OSX, will it have the driver support built in. I assumed it would but my ladies comp teatcher (who I am pretty sure is an idiot) said that she will not be able to install the drivers, or she will need the drivers.

I guess if she was limited as a user she would not be able to install the device on any OS so that may illiminate that great idea.

I am so glad I am done college.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Well I dont know about Mac OSX, but im pretty sure most EVERYONE in the education field uses Windows in an classroom setting.

As for the driver thing? Well, most of them dont need drivers as far as I know, but u get a CD, that usually has like, USB 2.0 or firewire drivers on it, with the external enclosure.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Her's is a video editing, and even for the MS office suite of programs they are using dirty old macs, which i know nothing about.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    I actually got ripped off on such a device. Not too ripped off, but I actually went to the local computer shop in LA (PC Club) and purchased this thing that converts IDE to USB and firewire. As I recently set up a RAID 0 configuration and I needed to back up approximately 80 gigs of music and software that I consider precious. I don't know about you, but the ability to burn CD's my music collection is vital to personal stability.

Yes it works very well, but I had to pay $100 US for it...more credit debt, just what I do not need...

Here is what I have, it works for ANY IDE device, that includes CD-R and RW drives...it is very portable, but most importantly, I have a backup of all my data.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123