Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Methods To Combat Riaa

ChAo$
    Two ideas for people, although I am not sure if either of them will work...

Idea 1 is to make a program that users can download that will not allow RIAA IP addresses to connect to them. This would of course entail somehow finding the IP addresses that the RIAA is currently using to gather evidence and issue supeona's.

Idea 2 is to start some sort of file sharing IP masking service that does not keep any records thus making it impossible for information to be dispersed about a user's true identity. I believe that this woudl require a vast amount of bandwidth, which is where kazaa's distributed resources would come in handy. Perhaps, there is a way to ensure that everyone's traffic is routed through at least one other person and leave no record of where the destination or source of that traffic was so that it was impossible to determine the IP address of the user you are downloading from.

Just a few ideas...

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    we could all make the move over to freenet.... but i must say it is slow...

"Freenet is free software which lets you publish and obtain information on the Internet without fear of censorship. To achieve this freedom, the network is entirely decentralized and publishers and consumers of information are anonymous. Without anonymity there can never be true freedom of speech, and without decentralization the network will be vulnerable to attack.
    Communications by Freenet nodes are encrypted and are "routed-through" other nodes to make it extremely difficult to determine who is requesting the information and what its content is.

Users contribute to the network by giving bandwidth and a portion of their hard drive (called the "data store") for storing files. Unlike other peer-to-peer file sharing networks, Freenet does not let the user control what is stored in the data store. Instead, files are kept or deleted depending on how popular they are, with the least popular being discarded to make way for newer or more popular content. Files in the data store are encrypted to reduce the likelihood of prosecution by persons wishing to censor Freenet content."

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    angel_of_death57
    Originally posted by ChAo$@9 September 2003 - 18:31
    Two ideas for people, although I am not sure if either of them will work...

Idea 1 is to make a program that users can download that will not allow RIAA IP addresses to connect to them.  This would of course entail somehow finding the IP addresses that the RIAA is currently using to gather evidence and issue supeona's.

Idea 2 is to start some sort of file sharing IP masking service that does not keep any records thus making it impossible for information to be dispersed about a user's true identity.  I believe that this woudl require a vast amount of bandwidth, which is where kazaa's distributed resources would come in handy.  Perhaps, there is a way to ensure that everyone's traffic is routed through at least one other person and leave no record of where the destination or source of that traffic was so that it was impossible to determine the IP address of the user you are downloading from.

Just a few ideas...
    Just like to tell you KazaaLite has these ideas in them already with a IP Blocker built in (make sure you update with it) and also deletes IP addresses stored in dat files and makes it secure. The routing idea is good but i am sure the KazaaLite devolpers will bring these into Kazaalite.
    I do not like that FreeNet thing the idea that you cannot control your files hhhhhmmmmm don't like it at all.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    this is in reguards to not haveing control of the files i agree with you but one of the reasons that you do not have control or even know what files r being stored on your comp is that when you goto court you can stand there and say " i did not know that file was on my comp and i dont know who put it there" which may or may not work lol but the point is if you dont know what is on there (cos you only generally have parts of files that r encrypted) how could anyone else know what you had on there??

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    angel_of_death57
    No way viruses and shit i don't trust it at all sorry but no sale for me. Anyway i live in the UK and ppl not getting done here for downloading only for selling.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I say we have a massive boycott, and not buy anything from music industry, and the movie industry, but they fail to mention people download movies, so it's kinda redundant. This way, we hit them where it hurts most. They will have no choice but to legalize p2p or they will go bankrupt. Also, I think someone need to be a spokesperson for p2p users, and go before congress and the RIAA and give them the reasons people use p2p, and that we actually buy albums, but we like to try out the music first. And if they don't comply, then we tell them of our massive boycott and let the infiltration begin.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    A boycott sounds good. Or until anonymous p2p comes along, we could launch a satellite into space that has a huge harddrive. There's no way for it to be affiliated with any country then, and the RIAA couldn't touch it. I guess it wouldn't be p2p then.

I know it's crazy I just thought it was mildly amusing.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    well go ahead and boycott! don't just sit around and talk about it.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Cookeez1223
    Justin is right. We need a spokesperson.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    yeah...a spokesperson would be nice...any volunteers?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast