Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delete .avi File?

Yeah delete a reg key, but the one i found is slightly different

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll. To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489- 5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32 This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault.
    That reg key is confirmed by multiple places and i would definitely recommend deleting it or not using windows explorer.I don't know what the other reg key mentioned does, maybe the same thing?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by nikita69@10 September 2003 - 06:18
    try my sig, there is tip for stubborn files.
    :beerchug:

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    i reboot that works also click delete and try to close the window the avi is in

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Out of The Ordinary
    How to delete a file with Windows XP / Windows 2000.

Start - Run - Command - cd C:\Movies - del something.avi [THIS WILL DELETE SOMETHING.AVI]

How to delete all files in a FOLDER.

Start - Run - Command - cd c:\ - del foldername [CHOOSE Y]

How to delete a file using SAFE MODE.

Re-boot Your machine and press F8 while Windows starts to load.
    Choose SAFE MODE, locate the file and delete it.

BOT

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    The important thing is to take ownership of the file away from the system and give it to the account holder only. That way the system can't argue with you. Any way you can, get into the advanced security properties for that one file and delete any system attributes or ownership, then with you as owner, and no inheritable properties, it will delete very simply.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Thanks you guys i'll try these idea's now and let you know!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    BOT .... I tried it in safe mode but it still won't let me delete it (still says some prog. maybe is using it!

I tried to delete a file like you suggested in DOS but it kept putting up a message saying "too many parameters"????? not sure what this means?

And i'm not sure about your advice on deleting a folder seeing as it's in my documents and I can't now move it? also not sure what you mean't by (CHOOSE Y)??

I appreciate your help tho' CHEERS!!!
    :beerchug:

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Balamm... How do you get into the advanced security properties of a certain file
    as you suggested?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    It should be in right click/properties/ advanced, maybe security in XP. All the attributes will be listed with the owner and permissions. Any thing other than administrator should be removed, check the do not inherit box, check all permission levels boxes for the admin, click apply, then delete.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    In win explorer go to
    tools -> Options -> view -> Uncheck simple file sharing (at the bottom)
    now when u right click a file and go to properties there should be a security tab and from there an advanced button.
    But i think this is a case of the well known bug Darth Sushi pointed out and balamms solution may not work, if it doesn't I reckon u should try either my or Darth Sushi's solution or do a litttle search on google for 'delete avi file xp' and u should find all the info you need.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast