Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do I Wipe My Hard Drive

Believe me, I've done the same thing in restoring my hard drive many times... afterwards
    I just bought a new hard drive and installed it myself. I'm just a novice at this and I'm just typing these directions from memory, so if anyone posts corrections, etc. replying to this post, be sure to read them first before attempting anything.

Now I probably have a different computer from you but since you also have Windows
    XP which is the same OS as mine.. I'll try to help, but remember I'm just a novice at this who has reformatted my hard disc many times before installing a new hard drive. Make sure you have that original Serial number that came with your Windows XP Operating System Disc. You won't be able to re-install Windows XP
    without it.

A. You will need the Windows XP Startup Discs which you can download them from the Windows XP website under "Technical Support". OR you can just put your Windows XP Operating Systems CD in your CD Drive, reboot and click on either "ESC" or "F3(?) during the reboot <--- (someone correct me, not sure) and your system may recognize your CD Drive and you can just click on your CD Drive where your OS Installation Disc is in and it should automatically direct you allowing you to skip that floppy disc process. I did it both ways... with my old hard drive I just used the Operating Systems CD, but when I installed the new hard drive I had to use the floppies because at that beginning point with a "raw" hard drive, my CD drive was not recognized. When I did it with the downloaded from Windows XP floppies, it took up 6 blank floppies, keep in mind that you will need at least 6 or more blank, formated floppy discs to start and have them prepared. Don&#39;t forget to LABEL each disc as the files finish downloading from Windows XP to each one. For example write Disc 1 on the floppy after the files download, then Disc 2, etc. Also have your Windows XP Operating CD ready... and the original serial number that came with it, you will need it later.

B. Put in your A: "Startup disc 1" and reboot your computer. You will see the "setup"
    starting... it will then ask you for "disc 2" then disc 3, and so on, and so on.

C. When you reach the final setup disc. At that point it should ask you what drive do you want to work with
    and it should show you what it is.. for example C:... ... "Do you want to CREATE
    a NEW Windows installation or REPAIR"

CREATE (I believe you type the letter "C") Then it will say "Do you want a
    "Quick" or full format or do you want to add a partition?
    Scroll and click on "Quick" format.
    Then it will prompt you that Choosing this will ERASE all files on your hard drive and it will ask you if you are sure... For example: ARE YOU SURE? Y/N
    Type "Y" YES to erase all files... Then it will request that you put in your Windows XP Operating CD into your CDROM DRive.... then after that you just follow the
    directions making sure you have that serial number for Windows XP that came originally with the OS program or with your computer.

If anyone looks over this and finds that I missed something, etc... correct me
    especially at the beginning point where I wasn&#39;t sure whether to click on "Esc" or
    "F3".

Good Luck
    Ann

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    true_neo's Avatar The Dark Lord Revan
    Me is also a comp nOOb, but recently formatted HD. this is what I did:

A: Have the XP CD in yer CD drive, and the serial ready.

B: Now this is the part that may be diff for pcs, but on my PC I pressed Del at boot to enter BIOS Setup.

C: Go into Advanced BIOS Setup.

D: Shift the Boot Order so you get [Name of yer CD Drive here] as first boot.

E: Exit BIOS Setup and save changes.

F: Now at reboot, the comp will ass you if you want to load CD, or the HD. press a key when it asses for it to load the CD.

G: It will ass you if you want to reinstall XP, press yes. Then if you want to create new partition, or format. Press format. After format done, let Windows reinstall, enter CD key at request, and rember to prss NO if it asses you to install unsigned elements durin install.

And stop posting in CaPs LOCK&#33;
    Sage goes in the signature field.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    ScoobyDooo,
    Nice going.

I just built a comp a few weeks ago and perhaps can save you some work.

When first I turned on the machine I hit and held F2 down and entered BIOS.
    There you will find a list of the places that the machine first looks to for a OS.

Default is floppy drive A:.
    Just rearrange the list so that "Boot from CD" is at the top and you can go direct to your Windows disk and boot from that.
    No floppies needed.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Wow.... All the trouble I went through and didn&#39;t realize how easy it was&#33; I wish I was here way way way before... could&#39;ve saved
    ME a lot of time, thanks for letting me know... you saved the original poster some
    time too. (Did my post come out in Caps(?) I know I re-edited a few times...
    and tried to use the "Bold" format for a few lines and it came out kinda screwy, but I don&#39;t see CAPS on my end? - ) Strange. Oh well, thanks anyway&#33; I&#39;ll definitely
    keep what you both wrote in mind in case I ever have to reformat again.

Ann

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    true_neo's Avatar The Dark Lord Revan
    I was talkin to the nOOb when I said that caps lock thing, not you scooby. Debbie was it who needs to stop doin that.
    Sage goes in the signature field.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Originally posted by ScoobyDooooo@10 September 2003 - 18:47
    Wow.... All the trouble I went through and didn&#39;t realize how easy it was&#33; I wish I was here way way way before... could&#39;ve saved
    ME a lot of time, thanks for letting me know... you saved the original poster some
    time too. (Did my post come out in Caps(?) I know I re-edited a few times...
    and tried to use the "Bold" format for a few lines and it came out kinda screwy, but I don&#39;t see CAPS on my end? - ) Strange. Oh well, thanks anyway&#33; I&#39;ll definitely
    keep what you both wrote in mind in case I ever have to reformat again.

Ann
    Added Quote from Scooby Re Caps: Oh, you meant the original poster right? duuuuhhh...
    That&#39;s why I&#39;m still a "novice" in more ways than one... and yes I am a blonde

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123