Thread: need to know about speed on Kimsufi L under new policy

Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    hey guys,
    my old server L from kimsufi.co.uk will be expired in a few days, it was on old contract no-SLA, so transit and peering are always on 100mbit but with low priority, been able to manage at least 5-6TB every month. now I cant seem to find another host for the same budget(24 quid inc.vat, no set up fee) , so I'm now considering keep using it but the new policy will kick in as soon as I renew it. 8Mbps capping on transit will be such pain in the arse. I've read the 'OVH's new bandwidth regime explained' came to understand the terms. I know I should get a at least SuperPlan Mini,which has SLA premium but I just cant afford it by myself.

so the 8Mbps cap will definitely affect my transit speed all the time but most traffic in EU will not be affected,according to this list http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/items/framework/massive_hosting.xml
    therefore I will be counting on those traffic to dominate my monthly traffic but really not sure what the real performance would be.

So if by any chance some1 is using the kimsufi L under the new policy(standard), can you tell me the average speed and monthly traffic I can expect ?
    cheers.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I think I am using under the new policy, got a Kimsufi L just over a month ago, when I log into the OVH manager & go to the Summary section I have the following info:

Bandwidth / Traffic Network connection: 100Mbps
    Bandwidth type: Standard
    OVH/OVH B/W: 100 Mbps
    OVH/Internet B/W: 100 Mbps
    Internet/OVH B/W : 100 Mbps
    Traffic: unlimited
    Current months traffic: 478 GB (informative)

I decided to renew it 3 days ago, so the traffic I managed was 6TB for the last month.

Just logged onto server & utorrent has been running for 758hours (31.5days) & has uploaded 6,230 GB, so subtracting the 500GB for the last 3 days I 'd say 6TB on the Standard Bandwidth type.

I assume this is what you mean? This is my first Kimsufi (by going direct anyway) so I assume I have read your question right?
    Anyway I have renewed for another month as more than happy with 6TB upped. (will keep renewing on a monthly basis incase anything happens...)

EDIT
    As for speed, 11.1MB down & it remains constant at 2.5-4MB/s up with 25-30 torrents running. If I allow just 3-4 popular torrents to run, it pushes out 8-9MB/s up, however I am happy with a constant 2MB/s+ on a 24-7 basis (with 20+ torrents running), I only really seed what I actually want.

(As I type this I have 33 torrents running & sitting between 3.2-3.3MB/s up - torrent files are a mix of HD tv shows, DVD-R's & HD movies)
    Last edited by NUMBER1; 12-09-2008 at 01:10 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    thanks guys, I just assumed that in the case of using L as seedbox they ovh manager would show like this :
    OVH/Internet B/W: 8 Mbps
    Internet/OVH B/W : 8 Mbps
    --------------------------------------------------
    I will be happy, too, to see an average speed of 2mb/s with 10 torrents running(never run more than a dozen). considering my shy budget,guess I'll have to give it a go and if it turns out to be really bad, I'll just have to find some1 to get a premium one.
    pls keep us updated here and I'll do the same.
    cheers

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Hi John, before reordering for another month my summary screen was:

Current months traffic: 6TB (informative)

none of the speed info changed. not done the maths, but maybe constant people like me are ok as opposed to those who max out for a day or two on 1 or 2 torrents & then rinse & repeat?
    i'll keep this section updated if anything changes.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    just a follow up to this thread, after pushing 6TB the next month I pushed 7TB & since the addition of extra 500GB HDD attached I have allowed 100-120 constant torrents running (450-500GB of data) & in a few days I should probably have pushed 11TB for the month

current info:
    Priority OVH/Internet: Low
    Current months traffic: 10 TB (informative)

I noticed 2 weeks into the new month I hit 8TB and the summary screen changed to the Priority OVH/Internet: Low since then I have pushed almost 3TB and no change, I assume in a few days this will dissapear from summary screen. So in summary no changes when I hit 7TB in a month but hitting 8TB half way through has triggered the priority to be low, but I'm still pushing out decent speed (lot of peers happen to be OVH users anyway!)
    just food for thought for potential new users & existing users since the change at OVH.
    Last edited by NUMBER1; 02-04-2009 at 11:50 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    i think the new policy is rather good, Even in low priority u can push 11/11 on most torrents and there is no change in ftp speeds too , ofcourse if u got 100megs home lines dont expect 100megs but 8-10megs if outside eu