Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: libtorrent/rtorrent

I was originally going to reply to the "what bittorrent client" thread but thought maybe it would be hijacking. so anyway..

Do any experts here use rtorrent? I've been wanting to give it a try because I heard that your upload speed is like 3 times faster than it is on any other client. But i'm also deathly afraid of console applications.
    Last edited by deiby; 03-07-2012 at 02:13 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    You can rutorrent if you are not comfortable with command line its a GUI for rtorrent

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    theere is also rtorrent for windows

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Never noticed it being any faster .

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    thanks for replies.

Can anyone else comment on upload speed in rtorrent? Anyone get a significant increase in upload speed or is it pretty much the same as Stan says. That would really be the only reason I would switch to rtorrent.

absent: thanks. nice to know there is GUI if I give it a try.

Stabber: can you give me a little more info? is it same as for linux? do you have URL? are you by chance referring to anotherTorrent?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Here you are :

http://static.jmk.hu/rtwi/downloads/rtow/

Just unzip the content and you can use rtorrent without cygwin

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    b3owulf's Avatar facepalm.jpg
    If you're jot getting the speed your ISP promises it's either provider being a cunt and not giving all the speed/throttling BT traffic or it's you being unable to configure client properly.
    What about possible, but unlikely, speed increase, it's I guess due to rtorrent is very lightweight app. Again, 3x increase is most likely bullshit. But rtorrent is good client though, and rutorrent interface is very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigel9 View Post
    Mp3 obviusly is superior. FLAC is only for nerds and n00bs, u cant even play it in iTunes so its basicaly useless.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by b3owulf View Post
    If you're jot getting the speed your ISP promises it's either provider being a cunt and not giving all the speed/throttling BT traffic or it's you being unable to configure client properly.
    I get the vibe the thread starter is an optimization freak like me, and if he can get extra upload by using rTorrent, he will switch to that.

3x upload might have been possible under certain conditions, back when the official client wasn't a renamed copy of uTorrent.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    stabber: hey good to know! i actually bit the bullet and installed in linux with a combination of 2 guides. for anyone interested, it's here:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-com...with-rutorrent
    and here:
    http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=256.0

b3owulf: i never said i felt i was getting throttled by my ISP (though they are cunts, but for other reasons ). i even checked on a site (glasnost or something can't remember exactly) that supposedly tests for throttling. in fact my speed is pretty good. i was just wondering if it could be better. like if libtorrent optimized the way it handled uploading to peers or something like that. but you're right. 3x is most likely a pipe dream. it's just what i thought i saw once.

anon: you are sure right about that. it's that damn OCD.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    rtorrent is preferred by many because it uses less system resources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast