Thread: Hardware requirments for a low bandwidth (3MB/s DL 1.5MB/s UL) seedbox.

Hi, this is my first thread so plesa excuse any errors.

I want to set up a seedbox in my house because I am in college now and would rather not plunder the university's ocean. I have $500 to spend on a new system which will only be used to DL/UL torrents and ftp some of them to myself at college when necessary. I plan to use ubuntu linux as an OS.

What should I spend money on and what can I save on? My plan now is to spend most of the money on a good case, power supply, hard drive configuration, and network card and then save on the processor, motherboard, and RAM because its my understanding that "torrenting" down not need a lot of processing power or memory and doesnt need a dedicated video card, however my technical knowledge of computers come from use and a few "how to" books so I want to refer to the experts (you guys) before I start purchasing. Thanks!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Couple of options

1.Get a DD WRT Router flash DD WRT on it
    2.Get a NAS Storage Device Pogo Plug /Seagate GoFlex Net/Rasberry Pi and install ArchLinux on it

I personally use Pogoplug and torrents are breeze and best part is you never to switch it off(it takes 5W )

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    get a cheap mid-tower or htpc case and spend more on CPU and RAM, especially if you're going to be seeding a lot of torrents, for a long time. Also, RAM is dirt cheap these days. Harddrives are going to be a lot more expensive since the flood has driven prices up. Make sure to get a motherboard with integrated graphics, since you don't need a graphics card for a seedbox.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    ^ Getting a HTPC is still a expensive option

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    HP miniserver is perfect for this. room for 4 drives, good hardware too.