Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For A Linux Os

can anyone help me out with a hash for linux and i'm also not sure which linux os to install, any suggestions?. thx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    From simply word of mouth, SuSe seems to be the distro of choice for true linux professionals. Red Hat is also popular too. If I was to install Linux to dual boot with Windows, I would go with Suse.

You don't need hashes because you can download linux for free from the company's website. It's not illlegal. Unless you want a Pro distro...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Red Hat 9 is free and the best supported, also IMO the best for noobs 2nd place IMO for the newcomer goes to Mandrake 9.1 go to http://www.linuxiso.org for free iso's (Suse isn't there cos u have to buy Suse)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    You can download SuSe here. No purchase necessary.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I would suggest that you give Gentoo Linux a try...

The portage tree of ebuilds offered by Gentoo builds the entire system from source, with your optimizations, so you computer runs the fastest its physically possible on your hardware, typically 40-50% faster, without any changes to the code

Monica

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I lixor Mandrake myself.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    The suse thing is a direct installation, you can't save it to a disk and reinstall if anything goes wrong, they offer a version you can save to a disk but that isn't a proper installation either

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    The portage tree of ebuilds offered by Gentoo builds the entire system from source, with your optimizations, so you computer runs the fastest its physically possible on your hardware, typically 40-50% faster, without any changes to the code
    this was tested by somebody and the results posted on slashdot. It turned out that compiling your own did not really make a differnece which was very odd.

Still i like suse but they do not put out iso's for there distro just some shitty live install thing where you install the whole os off the internet.

redhat is excellent for a beginner but you will get easily bored.
    suse has a good learning curve and the kde 3.1 desktop is gorgeous
    debian is meant to be fantastic but is not at the cutting edge of technology.
    gentoo takes ages to install because it all needs to be compiled.
    mandrake sucks ass in my opinion.
    freebsd is not a true linux but is from berkely unix. rock solid and an all round excellent os.

the choice is up to you but make sure you really do some reading on the subject before you jump in, you can easily murder your bootloader when trying to dualboot so the windows install disk is a must.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by 4play@10 September 2003 - 15:17
    but make sure you really do some reading on the subject before you jump in, you can easily murder your bootloader when trying to dualboot so the windows install disk is a must.
    Excellent advice, I did that twice

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    4play: So you think SuSe is the best? I've been wanting to try out Linux myself lately, but don't know which to go with. C|NET says SuSe is the best. It seems to be the top choice of large corporations. There are hundreds of distros out there. I don't want to research all of them. I want something that will play nice with Windows XP (dual boot). Simple user interface is a must, if that's even possible with Linux. Not even TRYING to mess with command lines. Call me a n00b if you want. I'm just a point-and-click kind of guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast