Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is super seeding acceptable

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    not to sound like a complete fucking noob here

edit: most sites auto ban super seeding because it falls under hit and run rules as well.
    but eh!!!

That is something that i have never,ever heard off or even thought about in all honesty, it just cant be seen as the same at all.

care to explain the reasoning.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    not to sound like a complete fucking noob here

edit: most sites auto ban super seeding because it falls under hit and run rules as well.
    but eh!!!

That is something that i have never,ever heard off or even thought about in all honesty, it just cant be seen as the same at all.

care to explain the reasoning.
    I'm assuming they meant that superseeding could possibly lead to not sending out data anymore (if there are too many seeds and too little leechers). And that's only an assumption, it's hard to decipher the thought processes of some of these vague people...

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    but if they are superseeding, they have completed it, so its not a hit and run, because its hmm completed, whether they actually downloaded it from the tracker or are just helping to seed it, its still completed.

so I have no clue how it could even be seen as a hit and run.
    Last edited by stoi; 12-18-2008 at 09:01 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    monk3y's Avatar Pirate's Life for me BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    isn't it OVER seeding ?

Do not pm me requesting for invites as i have none to spare
    Signature & Avatar Rules

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Basically, superseeding is meant to help people with slow connections share whatever they're uploading to the person with the fastest connection. They basically seed the entire file to that one person (instead of having bits and pieces going to multiple people.) That person in turn seed that back to everyone else with their fast connection thus creating more complete seeds than the regular method of seeding.
    See ya in another life, brother.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    Basically, superseeding is meant to help people with slow connections share whatever they're uploading to the person with the fastest connection. They basically seed the entire file to that one person (instead of having bits and pieces going to multiple people.) That person in turn seed that back to everyone else with their fast connection thus creating more complete seeds than the regular method of seeding.
    well i do not know what client you use but it has never worked like that for me.

lets say you have 10 pieces, and 10 leechers.

it will give 1 leecher 1 piece each and they will be all unique pieces, so you should never give the same piece out twice, hence why it is faster (obviously you may give 5 pieces to 2 leechers each, but they will still be unique)

When i used to upload a lot, it went something like this.

1 gig file

Azureus would upload 1.4gig
    Utorrent would upload 1.2gig
    Bittornado would upload 1.1gig

on superseed.

without superseed it was something like

Azureus would upload 1.7gig
    Utorrent would upload 1.4 gig
    Bittornado would upload 1.3gig

and that was to see 1 leech become a seed, but it has been awhile since i was a serious uploader, so those numbers may have changed a lot.

basically you just get seeders faster, and upload less.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    hit and run is when you download and don't seed back. superseed is not seeding and regardless if you superseed for months you're still not seeding so you're tech hit 'n running. on most sites you will not get banned for such and will get a warning but it is in the rules on most sites not to super seed.

superseed != overseeding. superseed is were your client registers to the tracker that you are still a peer after you finish downloading. this way your client decides what pieces to seed to others instead of the tracker allocating it which can help in rare situations, but the tracker and the other peers on the torrent will all see you as a peer instead a seed which can lead people to think there isn't any seeds or ...

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    cadaffi's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    overall I think superseeding is a bad thing. But especially with seedboxes, people are able to build a huge buffer nowadays and the little guy at home who already had a difficult time against the swedish connections, now has even a bigger trouble.

It starts to look like torrenting is going to become pay2leech....

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    hit and run is when you download and don't seed back. superseed is not seeding and regardless if you superseed for months you're still not seeding so you're tech hit 'n running. on most sites you will not get banned for such and will get a warning but it is in the rules on most sites not to super seed.

superseed != overseeding. superseed is were your client registers to the tracker that you are still a peer after you finish downloading. this way your client decides what pieces to seed to others instead of the tracker allocating it which can help in rare situations, but the tracker and the other peers on the torrent will all see you as a peer instead a seed which can lead people to think there isn't any seeds or ...

what??? lol

The top bit i mean, how if you are superseeding, you are not seeding.

I just dont get it and i have ran a tracker for 5 years and I am still at a loss with some of the crap people come up with.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    i experimented once with it on one of my uploads on E****. when the first leecher came, my client didn't connect to the peer with superseed turned on.
    i turned ss off again, it connected to the peer with full upload speed. turned it on again: peer disconnected again.

that was enough for me to prove that it doesn't make sense for me. i never used it again since.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast