Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: understanding tracker language

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    i noticed members here who hardly speak or understand the english language. nevertheless most of them are so keen to join trackers, that solely offer english movies and english forums.

i wouldn't enjoy movies that i don't understand. also the spoken language in most films isn't exactly oxford english, which should make it even harder.
    subs are usually only available for a limited number of languages. you won't find arabian subs for american movies i guess.

how can you be active in the community, take part in discussions if you don't understand the forums?

i'm not talking about the common non native english speaker, i'm talking about members who can't write or understand an english sentence without an online translator.

why do non english speakers want to join english trackers? what's their benefit?

p.s. that goes for english speaking folks who want to join foreign language trackers as well by the way.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    how can you be active in the community, take part in discussions if you don't understand the forums?
    Believe it or not, some users will use trackers solely for their content. An example is English users using Swedvdr.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    p.s. that goes for english speaking folks who want to join foreign language trackers as well by the way.
    Probably either for content, or cause they are curious and can't be satisfied with just looking at the screens from a review.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    An example is English users using Swedvdr.
    ... where they download english movies.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I understand what you mean.

I have been a member of bittorrents.ro for a while and I never use it because of it being a Romanian tracker and written English is very limited obviously.

I was invited there and found it very hard to navigate due to the barrier in spoken and written languages

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    several times, i asked myself the same question after noticing a certain amount of member speaking an awful english and my conclusion si always the same:
    what the hell are they doing with all those english 0day trackers ?
    my native language is french and my english speaking is not perfect (far from it) but at least, i don't lie to myself by downloading films that i will never watch.
    I understand english better than i speak and luckily, it's not that hard to find french subs for most films provided by 0day trackers.

anyway, you make a good point and you probably know that an incredible amount of torrenters only use their tracker for buffering them with a sb without even watching a single film they downloaded...
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    no longer on it... BT Rep: +3
    yes, you have a point there. but regarding movies and TV episodes many people like to watch them with the original audio and subtitles of his native language.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    theres always subtitles

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    as a kid i had tons of comics books...many among those were written in foreign language that i did not understand whatsoever...yet just by looking at the picture i got what was going on. Same thing can be said about animated movies/shows. I bet there are tons here who watch anime. Some anime (or even say most) are understandable even without English subs.

likewise, same thing can be happen for movies as well, especially action movies. Action movies are easiest to understand, just try watching foreign dub of any action movie - you'll be fine. The hardest one is comedy, as they involve lots of dialogue and slangs.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    one of the purposes may be that they wanna learn a foreign langauge. when i joined fst and another forums/first english trackers, one of the purpose was that i wanted to improve my english(and i did so. at least in my opinion lol). as time goes by, user is able to switch his langauge subtitles for english subtitles, and then he would not need any.
    another purpose for me was that czech dubbing sucks hard, so i wanted to watch movies/shows in original langauge. that was a good step
    another great thing imo is just watch americans/english spoken people in the forums, that may teach you a lot too.
    i'm sure i would be able to find another reasons...

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    brightsid's Avatar Larisssssssaaaaaaa BT Rep: +4
    Well although English is not my native spoken language I usually don't have a problem with any 'English' tracker.
    It's obvious that I can not participate in forums or irc as much as I can in my own language but I managed to make some foreign friends.
    But for popular movies and tv shows I can find subs and I'm sure everybody else can. On the other hand in Czone for example,
    I couldn't even find anything to dl. It's just an example I'm sure Czone is a great tracker with great content but I really had problem of 'understanding' its romanian layout.
    Propably the same would happen in PT or any other non English site
    We make a living by what we get,
    we make a life by what we give

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast