View Poll Results: Do you think FST should share IP's of Scammers/Cheaters/Sellers with tracker staff?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get those scumbags

66 55.46%
  • No, privacy is most important

53 44.54%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think FST should share IP's of Scammers/Cheaters/Sellers?

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    No I don't. It's not our job to police the bittorrent "community". This is a forum where people come to chat or whatever.
    If this was 'just' a forum where people come to chat then there would not be a problem. It is the 'whatever' that is the problem. Cheating is the province of the tracker involved, only they can check the upload stats and check to see whether data is being spoofed, but the scamming and invite selling goes on directly and indirectly here.
    The only real threat in the bt world is the banhammer anyway, so sharing IP's and info on repeat offenders who carry on their scams regardless is at least going to worry them. The present situation where the member is banned then he heads off and gets another a/c via proxy only inconveniences the scammer for the month that he is a n00b, wooooo that's a big threat.
    I realise that from the forum's point of view that this change of policy would be fatal, it is the trading and bit torrent section which is the busiest section by far of this forum, but the current situation is quite laughable, banning an experienced scammer/invite seller with multiple a/c's via proxy is the equivalent of a smack on the hand with a wet bus ticket.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    This bitch is ugly BT Rep: +1
    Yes, get those scumbags

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Do you think FST should share IP's of Scammers/Cheaters/Sellers?
    No I don't. It's not our job to police the bittorrent "community". This is a forum where people come to chat or whatever.

Enforcing their own rules is the job of the trackers in question.
    Apparently your opinions differ from other moderators here, since a few are trying to make friends with tracker staff and the community as a whole.

If FST would like to be apart of the bittorrent "community," then FST should help rid their own community of scammers/cheaters/sellers, and help BT trackers do the same.

they didn't built Rome in one day

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post
    Is it your job to protect them then? Because sometimes it seems that way.
    No it's my job to moderate the posts on this forum and this forum alone.
    So when people are setting up multiple accounts to collect as many trackers as possible, shouldn't it also be your job to make sure that doesn't happen. It's not like you don't know what's going to happen.

I am staff on another forum (Not BitTorrent related), and when some member intensionally try to screw over or otherwise hurt other members by giving false info etc. I jump in to protect the members by doing whatever i deem necessary.

This approach seems like pretty much the same thing as if I just laughed thinking to myself "Boy, is he/she gonna be screwed, when following that advise."
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 12-22-2008 at 11:53 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    While you are at it, you guys could go to their houses and arrest them, why not? Maybe dead penalty for the cheaters or Guantanamo and water boarding too, yes.
    I think someone is getting insane here, so much torrenting is getting to some people's heads.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    If this was 'just' a forum where people come to chat then there would not be a problem. It is the 'whatever' that is the problem. Cheating is the province of the tracker involved, only they can check the upload stats and check to see whether data is being spoofed, but the scamming and invite selling goes on directly and indirectly here.
    The only real threat in the bt world is the banhammer anyway, so sharing IP's and info on repeat offenders who carry on their scams regardless is at least going to worry them. The present situation where the member is banned then he heads off and gets another a/c via proxy only inconveniences the scammer for the month that he is a n00b, wooooo that's a big threat.
    I realise that from the forum's point of view that this change of policy would be fatal, it is the trading and bit torrent section which is the busiest section by far of this forum, but the current situation is quite laughable, banning an experienced scammer/invite seller with multiple a/c's via proxy is the equivalent of a smack on the hand with a wet bus ticket.
    Oh I'd be happy to shut down the trading and invite sections if it were up to me, but it isn't so there you go.

We got along fine without them before, and we'd be fine without them again, but as you say, that's where the majority of the traffic comes from at the moment.

Take them away though, and something else would crop up. It always does...

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    As the question says do you think FST should share IP's of Scammers...
    how do you define scammer and what actions would justify an ip report to tracker staff?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post

Enforcing their own rules is the job of the trackers in question.
    Apparently your opinions differ from other moderators here, since a few are trying to make friends with tracker staff and the community as a whole.

If FST would like to be apart of the bittorrent "community," then FST should help rid their own community of scammers/cheaters/sellers, and help BT trackers do the same.
    Your "community" is flawed because it is an exclusive community rather than an inclusive one. That is why I don't agree with it.

Perversely, that is also why you attract so many scammers/cheaters.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Ideally, it would be nice to report them all to the relative trackers, but with the typical trackers attitude regarding FST, I don't do many favors. I try to mind my own (FSTs) business. Besides, scammers use disposable emails and typically have dynamic IPs so there isn't much to do anyhow.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I think you should charge them $$$'s for the information, that would really put their nose out of joint.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast