Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you got busted for torrenting couldn't you just say you cheated?

someone hacked my router is what it is.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    yea id go with the stolen wireless route. its much more likely and it would be hell for them to disprove.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    Now, even if they actually involved your IP provider they still wouldn't be able to pinpoint that your downloading (uploading is a different case) your data from p2p and not some other kind of data through ftp or whatnot. The only way they could tell you were truly seeding the illegally shared file in the swarm is to be in the swarm themselves which would incriminate them to.
    and sir, that is not correct. isp is able to find out which port have you used during the downloading and which file packets have you transfered(p2p in this case)

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Umm.. What are torrents?? I don't know anything about torrents.. What is securing your router?? What is hacking.. I just do my office stuff in my pc.. Can you download movies in computer.. How??

Best lie evar!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    If they ask you about torrents , you say "the old cat lady down the street has bad torrents. Often people see her inexplicably cursing and throwing cats at people. I Didn't know it could be contagious."
    See ya in another life, brother.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    Now, even if they actually involved your IP provider they still wouldn't be able to pinpoint that your downloading (uploading is a different case) your data from p2p and not some other kind of data through ftp or whatnot. The only way they could tell you were truly seeding the illegally shared file in the swarm is to be in the swarm themselves which would incriminate them to.
    and sir, that is not correct. isp is able to find out which port have you used during the downloading and which file packets have you transfered(p2p in this case)
    1. You can set BT to any port, so that doesn't matter
    2. They couldn't tell the difference between me seeding a new movie or say, some free Linux distro if its encrypted.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    SaviouR's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    busting for only torrenting is probably one in a billion chance really . even if they do , they will probably be interested in a massive uploader who may/may not have Scene connections , and yes those excuses dont work as they will have sufficient proof to nail , they dont catch a torrenter saying "hey ! its a xyz country ip sharing , lets pose a 1000$ fine on him !". The most important priority for them is going after the Scene itself and basically its not tough for them at all to bust anyone out there , even Sceners . All the paying programs for privacy , SSL encrypted tunnel services etc etc will be the first ones to rat you out if a raid occurs .

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    horiZen's Avatar >>SSL ENCRYPTED<<
    its very difficult to trace ip's when servers dont log your ip(mine does not log, be careful as many others DO log your IP), even if they had a fix on your ip they still have to analyse/identify what data you are putting though and to where(usually done by packet header sniffers) using SSL encryption over a secure port(443) makes it near impossible for them

morale of the story-make sure your server doesnt log ip/use true SSL encryption(port 443)
    Last edited by horiZen; 12-25-2008 at 06:18 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Actually it isn't really clear at the moment. Sharing infringing files is clearly unlawful, but the matter of torrents is not at all well developed in the legal realm.

I would say this much: you cannot just claim you cheated as you imagine the defense, you would have to prove that you were just cheating.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    maybe you did something else like trade/flame/swearing staff/racist etc. there are many explenations

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast