Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12 Year Old Sued!

The music industry has turned its big legal guns on Internet music-swappers - including a 12-year-old Upper West Side girl who thought downloading songs was fun.

Brianna LaHara said she was frightened to learn she was among the hundreds of people sued yesterday by giant music companies in federal courts around the country. "I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna said last night at the city Housing Authority apartment on West 84th Street where she lives with her mom and her 9-year-old brother.

"I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

Brianna's mom, Sylvia Torres, said the lawsuit was "a total shock." "My daughter was on the verge of tears when she found out about this," Torres said.

The family signed up for the Kazaa music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.

Usually, they listen to songs without recording them. "There's a lot of music there, but we just listen to it and let it go," Torres said.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Paid a service charge?!
    Scammers

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    What the duce, how can they sue someone so young. That fucked up.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    In one way this will help people see what bastards the RIAA really are & they only give a shit about more money

Won't be buying any more CDs in a hurry (well maybe CD-Rs/Rws )

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    I havent bought any cd's since they have done this crap.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    That is fucked up but I wanna know how did they get caught if they were paying though I guess the RIAA is just determined to catch people they are subscribing to kazaa just to catch them. It doesn't really add up but I hope they don't have to pay much. At the weak ass music industry

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    You can read the same article here except in this one the mother is speaking out at the RIAA near the end of the article. I mean, how low can the RIAA go?

"If this was something we were profiting from, that's one thing. But we were just listening and sometimes dancing to the music," said the mother.
    For once this quote was publicized....

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    dumb ugly bitch HAAHAHAHAHAHA

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    On one hand I'm glad it's all the stupid users of normal Kazaa who're providing us with all this flak. I mean, paying $30 for Kazaa?

But a 12 year old kid, that's pretty low.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by Gre1@9 September 2003 - 21:10
    That is fucked up but I wanna know how did they get caught if they were paying though I guess the RIAA is just determined to catch people they are subscribing to kazaa just to catch them. It doesn't really add up but I hope they don't have to pay much. At the weak ass music industry
    doesn't matter whether you pay for kazaa's new service. they don't have the okay to continue facilitating filesharing. that's why i think it's absurd besides simply asking people to pay to even do this when people can still get sued.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast